Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 9th May 2005, 04:19

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What's the future of WW2 historical writing?

I think Franek has hit upon a key point: People aren't reading as much of these types of books as they used to. At least two authors have made this comment to me.

So, it is a bit ironic and sad, now that more and more records are becoming available and researchers are showing even greater diligence, that the market for their end product is shrinking.

I know that when I go to the bookstores, the shelf space devoted to WW II aviation is not near what it was a few years ago. Of course, I'm in the middle of an aviation history drought region - southern Delaware - but I still know that my forays to the more populated areas are yielding less results. Even a visit to the bookstore within the NASM last fall was quite disappointing versus my earlier visits.

And, the more we know, the more some of us want to focus even more narrowly. One has to ask the question as to whether a book like Günter Sengfelder's German aircraft landing gear books would really have a sufficient market today to sell, let alone actually make a profit for the author.

Thus, an Me 262 nuts and bolts book considered a year ago might not really have an adequate market. Oh, there will be the die hards who would buy it, but likely their number is diminishing yearly. Face it, WW II ended 60 years ago.

And, it may not be just WW II aviation, but aviation in general. Zenith books used to put out "THE CATALOG", chock full of offerings. Now their catalog is a mere shell of its former self, with very little new to be seen.

Tell me I'm wrong. I'd love to hear it.

Oh, I'll keep researching on my favorite topic, the Me 262. And, certainly, there is enough call upon me for help to keep me quite busy. But, whether a really detailed book would still possibly be of interest, I have my doubts.

Matter of fact, I just had an interesting phone conversation with a former well-known retired NASM curator. He works for one of the aviation history magazines - works or volunteers, I don't quite recall which. He said that authors really aren't paid to put their works in his magazine, that they do it for the pleasure of seeing their efforts in print and I guess the name recognition. So, guys, one can still publish, but it will be, in the main, a labor of love and not one of profit. On a brighter note, he did say that this and other magazines from this group are profitable. Heck, at the prices they are going for these days, they better be!!

Regards,
Richard
Old 9th May 2005, 09:13
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Interesting, when I visit my local aviation book store (I'm lucky since one of Europe's biggest stores is basically around the corner - Luchtvaart Hobby Shop), I really get the feeling that there are more and more and more publications, too many to read, let alone buy!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 9th May 2005, 09:40

Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger
Matter of fact, I just had an interesting phone conversation with a former well-known retired NASM curator. He works for one of the aviation history magazines - works or volunteers, I don't quite recall which. He said that authors really aren't paid to put their works in his magazine, that they do it for the pleasure of seeing their efforts in print and I guess the name recognition. So, guys, one can still publish, but it will be, in the main, a labor of love and not one of profit.
Yep - I can vouch for the fact that writing magazine articles and books is not financially rewarding. If I divided the amount I earn from these sources by the number of hours I spent on them, I would end up earning less than the legal minimum wage...however, the satisfaction of seeing new information in print is worthwhile.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum
Old 9th May 2005, 11:14
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger
So, it is a bit ironic and sad, now that more and more records are becoming available and researchers are showing even greater diligence, that the market for their end product is shrinking.
Don't worry, Richard, there's still new stuff coming out. And from sources you, and others, would not believe...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 9th May 2005, 17:43
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Richard and fellow researchers,

I have been in the book publishing business for 25 years and have heard "there's no money in it" from many different sources and for many different genres and types of books, including fiction. Lately, my answer has been: "Then get out and start making the money you want."

Who finances those archaeologists who are digging for millenia old bones? There's is a glamorous and profitable vocation, eh?

Now we have the internet. Anyone care to use it? Much information is being published and distributed on these boards, daily! That's right: published and distributed---- free!

Earlier on, I suggested that someone write their book, advertise here, and in exchange for some money, provide a password to the purchaser so he could access and download the file. No physical printing or inventory.

And this is for everyone: if you are sitting on documented, verifiable information and photos, and none of it has seen the light of day, why not? I certainly hope you are not waiting for that mythical book publishing deal that will net you a lot of money. Clearly, such things do not happen

In any case, do what you want. Me, I would complete my book, go to a print on demand publisher, have a nice cover printed separately for them to bind on, and get 500 copies.

Gentlemen, stop vacilating. Make a choice. Frustration and indecision go hand in hand.

Regards,
Ed
Old 9th May 2005, 21:53

Tony Williams

Ed, I did exactly what you suggest for my first novel, 'The Foresight War' - an alternative WW2 story.

My usual publisher (Crowood) doesn't handle fiction so after various fruitless efforts to interest fiction publishers and agents I located a publisher who, for a fee, designed, edited and produced my book as a good-quality Print on Demand paperback (no need to buy a stock of them), put it on Amazon.com and also sells it as an e-book for downloading. I went for the deluxe service which will take around 500-550 copies sold to break even; it is possible to do it more cheaply. Once past that point I will collect a much higher percentage of the sale price than with conventional publishing. And all I have to do is market it, which reminds me: details are on my website, and you can read the first chapter for free!

Old 9th May 2005, 22:12
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Tony. So, it can be done. Encouraging experiences like this need to be brought up. In publishing, as in much of life, there are no guarantees. However, I am mindful and respectful of those who look at the costs (time and money) and elect not to publish.

Regards,
Ed
Old 11th May 2005, 01:49

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Tony, Ed, and Ruy,

I think it's IBM that has put out that print on demand TV advertisement. How does one go about learning more? What's involved? Did you actually have to print off 500 copies, or are you able to do a few at a time? Doesn't the setup to do a few at a time add cost? Being rather finicky about the quality of photo reproduction, just how good is the final product?

Ed, I'm not so sure your "just do it" versus vacilation is good advice. On the other hand, if one is willing to sink into something funds without a concern as to cost, just to see something in print, then your advice is correct.

As for electronic versus hard copy, though, for me, a book, a hard copy book, is the ultimate in permanence. Yes, you could post it on the Internet or sell it as an e-book, but I'm a bit old school and that physical "thing" has just too much attraction. I don't have to worry that there won't be something to view it on because Bill Gates has come out with a completely different system, obsoleting all of today's software and data storage formats. All one has to do is think of all the changes in the audio recording industry. Care to go out and buy a state of the art LP player for all those vinyls collected over a lifetime? A physical book defies obsoleting. The one very important gain with having something in electronic form is searchability, which I'll readily admit.

I also feel a sense of loss of one's artistic control on information when it is just dropped into the Internet. Pirating is rampant. Heck, is there any one of us that hasn't copied a photo or document off of someone else's website, regardless of whether the site claims copyright???

Ruy, I sure hope that your experience with your local bookstore is more the norm than what I have seen here. The more titles - good research - the better.

But, if I am correct, then a shrinking market puts a distinct pressure on publishers to stay with the most popular subjects and keep the books short, so that breakpoints can come earlier. Economy should come in volume, but, if the average book run is shrinking, then it is going to get tougher and tougher to turn something out that actually makes any money. As much as we'd like to think publishers are altruistic, they are there to make money. Maybe authors do it for the love of the game, but don't count on the same thinking from publishers. If they don't watch the bottom line, they'll go out of business. There's enough of that that we've seen already.

Regards,
Richard
Old 11th May 2005, 09:43

Tony Williams

The e-book/POD publishers I use are a British outfit, Authors Online (but they work with foreign-based authors also). Their website is here: http://www.authorsonline.co.uk/default.aspAnother one I looked at is Writers Services here: http://www.writersservices.com/index.htm although I didn't follow that up as they didn't respond to my enquiry!

Both sites are a useful source of information and advice on self-publishing even if you don't use their services.

I have so far found Authors Online to be responsive and fast. My book was available on-line and in print about two months after I first contacted them, which is just incredible by the standards of conventional publishing. I only asked for a standard paperback, but the paper and print quality is very good - clearly above average. They will do illustrated hardbacks also. And you don't need to order any quantity of books. You get a few as a part of the package, then individual copies are printed as ordered.

The clear benefits of this approach IMO are:

1. Speed and certainty of publication.

2. Total control over the appearance, layout, content.

3. On payment of a small annual fee, the book will be kept available indefinitely.

4. On payment of another fee, you can amend it and produce another 'edition'.

5. You will never see it remaindered in cheap bookshops!

The disadvantages, apart from the need to find money up front, are:

1. You have to do your own marketing. The publishers advertise your book on their website, put it on Amazon and get it an ISBN number, but after that you're on your own.

2. You won't attract the 'casual bookshop browser' market as bookshops generally won't have it on their shelves (they normally work on a 'sale or return' basis which isn't compatible with POD).

If you're looking into self-publishing, you do need to watch out for 'vanity publishers'. I initially made inquiries about one which proposed to supply me with 500 glossy hardback copies of my book - for about $20,000!

Given the choice, I'd rather work with a good conventional publisher because of the disadvantages I list above. However, if you can't find one willing to publish your work, and you can afford some money upfront, a good self-publishing firm is well worth considering.

Old 11th May 2005, 14:50
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

In France, it seems to me that WW2 aviation is working well on the market. At least five magazines (monthly or one every two months) are published on aviation history, mostly on WW2.

As for bookstores, there is at least one specialized in Paris and you can find much 'die hard' books in some other bookstores in Paris and at least one in Lyon and two in Toulouse. My personnal impression is that in my country it is becoming easier to find 'rare' WWII aviation books. And Internet is also a possibility.