Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th February 2005, 12:15

Norbert Neuser
@ Zamex:

The second picture of the rocket type possibly shows the converted type of the "Panzerblitz" as ammunition to be used by German a/c. It was adapted by the ammunition-type, the German Bazooka called "Panzerschreck" used.

Nonetheless the first rocket - for My eyes - only shows the R4M type. Reference pic above (the underwing installation front-photograph) simply is kind of propaganda - a mostly and well spreaded photograph without giving the ability of a real outlook at least. I've seen some photgraphs of still existing examples of the R4M rockets before. And the warhead indeed, shown in Your posting as well, is the common one, and really was used by the Luftwaffe as air-to-air-missile.

Hopefully this may be of some help.

Kind regards
y/s

Norbert
Old 24th February 2005, 12:40

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Interesting shot since it´s among few ones that shows the spinner spiral going on the blades. Very nice. In this case the white areas on the blades do not looks to follow the spiral pattern but may produce a white circle. A pity no photo from a better angle is available.
Old 24th February 2005, 20:17

O.Menu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Luis dos Santos
In this case the white areas on the blades do not looks to follow the spiral pattern but may produce a white circle.
Good point Sergio !

And this white circle seems to be same color as the engine cowl lip, perhaps that's his staffel color ?
Old 24th February 2005, 21:22

George Hopp
East Front marking

I find it interesting that the a/c doesn't appear to have the Yellow band around the cowling, which AFAIK was standard for East Front units in 1945.
Old 24th February 2005, 22:37
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
look carefully at the oil cooler armored ring, IMHO its clearly lighter than the RLM 76 engine cowling bottom half, could be either white or more likely yellow (looks a little different from the spinner and prop light color).

IF it is the same color, it is interesting as well since the prop circle placing and oil cooler ring coincide. Might be some new kind of tactical marking to aide head on identification.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 25th February 2005, 04:34
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
George...

...the yellow ring around the cowling was NOT standard for Eastern Front units, only those assigned to what was left of Luftflotte 4 after March 17, 1945.
Old 25th February 2005, 06:02
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
I have checked old good Japo booklet and it notes that in the last days of April 1945 Wenk flew Fw 190F-9/R1 with III/SG1. Perhaps transferred from SG9?
Old 25th February 2005, 23:20

George Hopp
Those cowling rings

According to David E. Brown, in the thread about "Color bands on Fw 190A" on AWF and referencing an Ultra decrypt of Sep 44, the cowling ring, 40cm wide, was instituted by 25 Sept 44. But, as you said, John, it appears only to have been for units of Luftflotte 4.
Old 26th February 2005, 05:24

George Hopp
Fw 190 rockets

John,
I have heard of the PB1, PB2, and PB3; but never of the PB8. Do you have any description of it?
Old 28th March 2005, 08:42

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw 190F-9 canopy question

Hi,

I'll have to correct my friend Morten about Helmut Wenk's unit in the final months of the war. It was 9./S.G. 1, not S.G. 9.

As for the service history of the FW 190 F-9, here's a little bit of information I have put together, which I hope is of interest.

The Focke-Wulf 190 F-9 entered production and service in January 1945. It was built in five, or possibly six, Werk Nummer blocks. A total of at least 330 aircraft were completed, although the actual figure is higher than this. In January 1945 147 FW 190 F-9s were built.

The following are known FW 190 F-9 W.Nr blocks:

420 ...
424 ...
426 ...
428 ...
440 ...

Most of the known FW 190 F-9 losses occurred with Schlacht units from Luftflotte 4 and Luftflotte 6.

The first loss of an FW 190 F-9 that I am aware of occurred on 22 January 1945, when W.Nr 424 110 of I./S.G. 77 belly-landed and suffered 90 per cent damage. The pilot, Lt. Gerhard Bause, was injured.

Units for which there is evidence that they operated the FW 190 F-9 include:

I./S.G. 1, Stab S.G. 2, II./S.G. 2, II./S.G. 3, I./S.G. 4, I./S.G. 4, III./S.G. 4, I./S.G. 10, II./S.G. 10, III./S.G. 10, Stab S.G. 77, I./S.G. 77, II./S.G. 77, III./S.G. 77, I./S.G. 151

Cheers,
Andrew A.