Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd July 2010, 04:31

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: KG26 A/C Codes 15 Aug 1940, Shield Colour

Hi, Jeff...

No need to 'tap dance backwards'... .

I was merely enquiring about your sources because I couldn't find anything myself. Also, I hadn't realised you'd previously enquired about this raid earlier this year on the forum... the one place I hadn't thought of checking! The sources you've provided are fine.

Hope the model turns out well .

Regards,

Paul
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:08

BoiseBlade is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul,

It wasn't a real big dance. As with everything in history you really never are fully sure, time and individuals can change things

I did find some information on 1H+GH that was lost 15 Aug 40 I will provide the sources tomorrow as they are on my other PC.
But White "G" will be hard to make as a Decal or Hard to mask (at least for me)

I would be glad to share images of my HE111 when completed. I have just gotten back in to modeling over the last 4-5 years. (you know kids grown, some extra time ) I really enjoy the investigation part as much as the build.

Doug,

With the images I have found I have a feeling that your description of the Gruppe shields is the most likely. The one that baffles me is the Night image I have attached earlier. Maybe it is a Stab Blue shield. Do yoiu know what colour of Blue they may have used? It would probaly had to be a light to medium shade if the one pictured was not Red. What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys or the great info and feedback.

Regards
Jeff D
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:21

jim norton

hi,

i contacted a. steenbeck. he told me, that first the crest was only white with a black lion for i. and ii/kg26. only the stab had coloured crests. in 1940 a iii. gruppe was installed, later a iv. then the shields became coloured like in other units, but the style changed until 1943 often. the crests dissapeared from the airplanes in 1943/44.

all the best
jim
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:49

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Jeff...

I'm sure your model will be fine, markings included . Of course, there are so many after-sales accessories nowadays on the market, including alternative markings. It's always helpful to build up your own reserve of markings and spare parts that you don't need to use, but if you're 'returning to the fold' of modellers after some years absence, then you may not have a stockpile... always a good habit to start, though.

You can easily get decal strips and various letters/numbers packs as well, without having to look for a specific set of markings for your kit. If you have a steady hand and patience, then cutting and trimming is always an option... changing an 'N' to an 'H' is an easy enough process, for example. It can make you follicly challenged, but I'm there already so that's not an issue for me!

And I have to agree with you, that at this stage of the game, I spend as much time researching as I do building and there are many better than myself, but I'm happy with the results I get. Anyway, drop me a 'PM' when you're finished with the kit, and I'll pass on my e-mail address. I look forward to an eye-catching '111' in full battle dress .

Jim...

Thanks for that additional information about the unit emblem. I found it very interesting and it's always good to hear how things evolved.

Regards to you both...

Paul
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:31

BoiseBlade is on a distinguished road

Here is what I found on 1H+GH I/KG26

`Thursday 15th August 1940. About 1300hrs. As the German formations flew down the Northumberland coast they were under attack by British fighters and ack-ack defences...

`1336hrs. Heinkel He111 H-4 of 1/KG 26 was intending to carry out a raid on Middlesbrough, when it was shot down into the sea at Druridge Bay by P/O W H Millington RAAF of 79 Sqn.

`Crew:
62712/76 Oberleutnant Rudolph Roch, Obs, age 30, unwounded
62712/12 Gefr Erwin Kulick, A/G, age 22, wounded
53557/68 Uffz Willi Zimmerman, Pilot, age 28, wounded
62712/64 Gefr Alwin Machalett, A/G, age 21, wounded

1347hrs. Police Report:- Special Constable G Wheller of Hauxley, Amble, reports a German plane has come down into the sea in Druridge Bay.

`1410hrs. Police Report:- Amble Coastguard reported that the fishery patrol boat DAVID ASKEW had picked up the crew and were bringing them into Amble Harbour.' (1)

Photograph of crew under arrest at Amble. (1)
Heinkel He111 H-4 1H+GH of 1/KG26.
Crew: Unteroffizier Willi Zimmerman, pilot, POW; Oberleutnant Rudolf Roch, observer, POW; Gefreiter Erwin Kulick, wireless op, POW; Gefreiter Alwin Machalett, mechanic, POW; Flieger Ernst Henrichsen, rear gunner, POW.

`This aircraft is believed to have been shot down by three Hurricanes of Green Section, 605 Squadron, Drem, which were airborne at 12.05 hours and were patrolling the Acklington - Tyneside area at 10,000 - 12,000 feet with the squadron's Blue Section.

`At 13.12 hours they saw two formations of enemy aircraft approaching Tyneside from the SE at 12,000 feet...While Blue Section climed into the sun to prepare to attack the larger group, Pilot Officer Christopher "Bunny" Currant (Green 1) ordered his section into "Line Astern" before climbing above and behind the second group, consisting of Heinkel 111s. When the fighters were in position behind their targets and some 3,000 feet above them, Currant gave the order "Echelon Port" and the trio launched their attack. Currant opened fire with a 3-second burst on a Heinkel at 200 yards range, putting its starboard engine out of action and forcing the bomber to break formation before Currant broke away to attack another enemy machine. Flying Officer Cyril Passey (Green 2) and Flying Officer James Muirhead (Green 3) then took up the assault on their leader's first victim. By then they were flying a north-westerly course towards Blyth. Passey managed one burst of 2 seconds from 200 yards, closing to 50 yards, before breaking away, and then it was Muirhead's turn. The Heinkel was climbing with its starboard motor feathered as Green 3 closed in. One short burst aimed at the bomber's port engine was enough to send the bomber spiralling down through clouds to the sea. Muirhead stayed around long enough to watch it ditch and to see five of its crew clamber into a dinghy...' (3)

Photograph of 1H+GH at Trondheim in 1940 with Alwin Machalett. (3)

Builder: Ernst Heinkel AG
Propulsion: Junkers Jumo 211 inline piston engines (2)
Unit: 1/KG 26 (1)(3)
Crew: 4 (1); 5 (3)
Owner: Luftwaffe [all sources]

Date of Loss Qualifier: A

SOURCE TEXT
(1) Derek Walton 1999 Northumberland Aviation Diary: Aviation Incidents from 1790 to 1999
Page(s)46-8
(2) Ed: Karen Leverington 1995 The Vital Guide to Fighting Aircraft of World War II
Page(s)52
(3) Bill Norman 2002 Broken Eagles 2: Luftwaffe Losses over Northumberland and Durham, 1939-1945
Photograph of the aircraft on p58 Page(s)58 - 60

Jim,
Thank you for the information. So did III/KG26 start with white as well or once they were added they had a colour shield?
Was it a coloured shield by Jul-Aug 40?

Regards

Jeff D.