Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd October 2009, 07:42

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road
Re: Location and date of Oesau picture required.

Thank you, Tcolvin, for your kind offer! Still gathering informations, a tireless, but rewarding task!

I think Adriano is going to post the same pictures I was going to, I'll have to see what he posts and then fire up the storage computer to add in the ones I have.

*shh - don't tell - I'm on a work break!*

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:33

tcolvin is on a distinguished road

Cori; is that 'thank you' a Franco-German 'no', or an Anglo-American 'yes'?

If yes, then e-mail me on thecolvin@hotmail.com.

Tony

Last edited by tcolvin; 2nd October 2009 at 12:06. Reason: Error correction
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:44

Nefiakoff is on a distinguished road
Balthasar's plane

Hello,

Here's photo from my collection.
Presents rudder of Balthasar's Bf 109 E-4 W. Nr. 1559, when he was still in action. It is the same Emil he was flying with 7./JG 27 during French Campaign and took to new unit, when promoted Gruppenkommandeur III/ JG 3 at the end of August.

Time when photo was made - late September to late October 1940.
The last air victory bar indicated here was claimed on 27 September (no. 27), there are also 14 victories of the planes destroyed on the ground (13 of them in French Campaign). His next 2 victories (last in BoB) came on 29 October.

Balthasar was hospitalised on 11 November 1940 after wounds from 4 September - and on the same day Oesau took over the IIIrd Gruppe.

So, as Walter Oesau stays on Cori's photo at this a/c, it had to be made just after his transfer to new unit.
Besides, probably in September it wasn't cold enough to wear a warm british jacket.

Best regards to all of You,

Nef
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:18
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Cori and all,
Here is the photo I promised, from Frappé´s book, pg.54 ( I guess the Copyright is ECPA - even in the book the photo is NOT Copyrighted, but as most of photos from this book comes from ECPA or Bundesarchiv, it must be from one of those ).
CORI: Do you know the name of the Propaganda Kompanie reporter that interviewed Oesau? The article must have appeared at DER ADLER Magazine isn´t it? You happen to know which number and date of Der Adler magazine?
Friendly yours
Adriano Baumgartner
PS: Please let us know when the book will be available. GOOD luck for you and I personally wish you will succeed in Editing it ( with your style and the way you thought and dreamed about it done ).

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 21st August 2015 at 11:36.
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:22
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

NEF and CORI,
Do you know what is this symbol just below the Swastika ( below the first two downward arrows on the last string of victories )?
On the color photograph it appear to be a RED roundel? What is the mean of it? ( A patch from enemy fire )?
Yours
Adriano
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:46

Don Pearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Do you know what is this symbol just below the Swastika ( below the first two downward arrows on the last string of victories )?
On the color photograph it appear to be a RED roundel? What is the mean of it? ( A patch from enemy fire )?
It may well be a patch.

Photos of 1559 while still showing only 2 rows of victories ( pg 83, "Die Jagdfliegerverbande..." vol 3, Prien et al.) do not show this mark. Page 85 has a photo showing an undocumented crash landing of this aircraft from about the same time period.

Don
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:33

Von Alles

Hi,
in October 1940, III/JG 3 was located in Desvres.

Von Alles
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolvin View Post
Cori; is that 'thank you' a Franco-German 'no', or an Anglo-American 'yes'?

If yes, then e-mail me on thecolvin@hotmail.com.

Tony

Hi Tony,

It was a yes and a thank you, I have a pretty good case of Mombrains at that hour at night. XD Between deciphering doctors and watching the little Walter I miss a few things, I apologize if I seemed a bit terse.

Old 2nd October 2009, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Cori and all,
Here is the photo I promised, from Frappé´s book, pg.54 ( I guess the Copyright is ECPA - even in the book the photo is NOT Copyrighted, but as most of photos from this book comes from ECPA or Bundesarchiv, it must be from one of those ).
CORI: Do you know the name of the Propaganda Kompanie reporter that interviewed Oesau? The article must have appeared at DER ADLER Magazine isn´t it? You happen to know which number and date of Der Adler magazine?
Friendly yours
Adriano Baumgartner
PS: Please let us know when the book will be available. GOOD luck for you and I personally wish you will succeed in Editing it ( with your style and the way you thought and dreamed about it done ).

Hi Adriano,

Thanks for the kind thoughts -I think it might be from the June 9 1942 Der Adler - one of the Adlers that I don't have at the moment. (and in fact, have to remind my father to give me back my large collection book of them - he borrowed them and hasn't returned them! )

I'm about to pick up another magazine in a few hours from an online auction, and that should have some newer images too.

The Bundesarchiv I think had some sort of online image viewing - I found many many new images that I did not know existed, some of them very interesting.

The work's going slow, but I've been fortunate mostly with good people I've met on forums - here, AHF, WAF, and through random emails - they have been invaluable help.

Old 3rd October 2009, 00:19

Nefiakoff is on a distinguished road

Adriano,

Good eye! Indeed, the most probably red patch after single bullet.

Nef