Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th February 2010, 04:48

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Re: New picture of a Me262 with Karoband

Steve,

Well, this would be based on comparative analysis of this aircraft against other Me 262s from the unit that were similarly painted (unit-applied wellen over the factory finish). Specifically, the focus would be on those Me 262s from the same unit that were known to have been finished in 81 and 82 (via their werknummern) AND had the wellen applied over these colours. Certainly study of Luftwaffe camouflage and markings is a challenging endeavour that is acknowledged as such by those familiar with the subject. In this case, knowledge of Me 262 camouflage and markings, production practices and paint application, and the circumstances at that time, indicate that based on the balance of probabilities RLM 81 is the best match for the wellen colour.

With regards to ED-2A, we soon determined that our interpretation of the RV band colours was inconsistent with new narrative and photographic information that was unavailable to us at the time of publication (1997) though our identity of the unit was correct. This information was soon revised and included in a separate Addendum included with the book. Other than that, all other aspects of the aircraft's identity and camouflage and markings remain valid.

Cheers,

David
Old 1st March 2010, 02:47

Harold Lake is on a distinguished road

At the risk of making pejorative statements, I seriously think we need to stand back and be honest with ourselves when it comes to defining marking colors painted on German aircraft 65 years ago. In this case, how do we know the dark color of the Me 262's checkerboard was Black? Why not Dark Blue (color # 24)? I mean, if you look at contemporary photos of American aircraft, and if you didn't know better, wouldn't you think the US national aircraft insignia was actually in black and white instead of Insignia Blue (dark blue) and Insignia White? If you take a hard look at original photos of "Yellow 5", for example, you will see that the aircraft's original checkerboard pattern was incomplete when the aircraft fell into US hands. Yet, some authors/publishers with photoshop skills have, on their own, either added the "missing color" or made the checkerboard a solid single band. This is crossing the line at best. At the very least we need the ability to cross examine the witness, do we not?

Hal
Old 1st March 2010, 04:24

Walterd is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: New picture of a Me262 with Karoband

David

Would it be possible for you to post the other pics and could you tell us where you got the info that is word of mouth or interview ect.
Karl great Pic thanks much and David the info you supplies was a great help.
Thanks again
Walt
Old 1st March 2010, 11:52

RolandF is on a distinguished road

David,

it is hard to recognize "Yellow 3" on this photo. Would this be the same jet "Yellow 3 + I" that came to lie on München-Riem´s scrapyard between Ju290 W.Nr.290110176 and Do335A-05?
Here I remember an additional vertical yellow bar for III.Gruppe and the camo fog over the chequers obviously weathered away. But I remember the blue-white "Karo" pattern much larger?
This Me 262 seems to have some history with overpainted B3-Geschwader code and overpainted oblique Gruppen stripes at the fuselage sides.

Personally i´m not quite convinced both jets being the same.

Regards

Roland

Last edited by RolandF; 1st March 2010 at 12:37.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:20

Hi Hal,

Perhaps it would be useful to start from the beginning when these markings were first noticed in photos of Me 262s.

Initially, it was thought that they defined aircraft operating with Industrie Selbstschutzschwarme (ISS – Industry Self-Defense Unit) units. This was based on several lost listings of Me 262s associated with ISS 1 and 2. However, as these were ad hoc and temporary units, it is thought highly unlikely that they wore any distinctive markings. The green and blue tail band on the Me 262 that graces the cover of Monogram’s “Jet Planes of the Third Reich” is based on an interpretation using available information over 30 years ago. Standing in front of the original painting in Tom Hitchcock’s study, he told me that he and Richard Smith made a guess as to what kind of unit would have such a unique fuselage band style. That’s it, a guess. This was also confirmed to me by Richard.

The colour combination was an interpretation comparing the various grey tones with known maintenance colours and they arrived at a blue and green combination. Years later, Jim Crow sent me photos of the aircraft in question – Yellow 5, WNr.501232. In some images the chequer tail band (karoband) was visible, in others it appeared as a black band. Obviously, some of the photos were using orthochromatic film such that reds appear as black. Indeed, where the two band colours could be seen, the grey tones for red and the light green are very similar. The darker colour could either be only dark blue or black, two similar shades of grey. The contrast with the latter colour would make the most sense and this was confirmed via other sources – see below.

I should note that in some cases the image showing Yellow 5 with a black band has been Photo-shopped where the lighter cheques are shown but there is no acknowledgement in the captions that this digital revisions has taken place - hence confusion with this aircraft and its markings.

Bottom line is that the karoband – Industrie Selbstschutzschwarme relationship was an educated guess over thirty years ago. More data has been discovered to identify the true identity of the units wearing these bands.

Since there was not documentary of other data that linked these karobands to the Industrie Selbstschutzschwarme units, focus shifted to the possibility that they might be related to those of the Kampfgeschwader (Jagd) units. Over the past years, numerous photos have surfaced (several in colour) that have confirmed the colour of two of the bands (green/white and red/black) and unit affiliations. In my research, I have photographic documentation for over 20 individual aircraft wearing these bands, both published and unpublished:

In addition, I have documented three (3) styles of such markings, again via photographs:
  • III./KG(J) 6: two band styles – large (Bf 109), small (Me 262)
  • I./KG(J) 27: one band style – large (Bf 109 & Fw 190)
  • I./KG(J) 54: three band styles – large (Bf 109), medium and small (Me 262)
  • III./KG(J) 54: two band styles – large and medium (Me 262)
The following colour combinations and unit affiliations are believed to be as follows:
  • KG(J) 6 – red / black
  • KG(J) 27 – green / white
  • KG(J) 54 – blue / white
In our Experten Decals book (ED-2A, 1997), Dave Wadman and I were the first to prove conclusively that the karobands were linked to the Kampfgeschwader (Jagd) units. This was based on photos of an Me 262 A-1a “Yellow 3+I” that revealed it wearing a large style blue and white (we originally interpreted as green / white) and most importantly, the famous KG 54 “Totenkopf” Geschwaderwappen. Since then, photographs of several other similarly marked aircraft from KG)J) 54 have been discovered that confirms this interpretation.

While no official documentary evidence has so far turned up, narratives from pilots and other unit members have provided additional information. This relates to descriptions of the KG(J) 6 and 54 aircraft having red and black and blue and white tail markings that first appeared in an article by Jan Horn on KG(J) 6. The pieces were falling into place and confirmed that red and black were the colours for KG(J) 6 and blue and white for KG(J) 54 respectively. Recent photographic and crash report documents published by Jerry Crandall (Proulx, 2005) has linked an Fw 190 A-9 with KG(J) 27. The colour photo of the Bf 109 G-10 at Kaufbeuren ("Yellow 2") shows it wearing a green / white band. Based on a process of elimination, these would have to be the colours assigned to this unit. Other KG(J) units were designated by the Luftwaffe to convert to the Me 262: KG(J) 30 and KG(J) 55. However, they were either given new responsibilities (Mistel program, KG(J) 30), or were disbanded (KG(J) 55). These events happened prior to or soon after any orders to apply chequer tail bands, hence, they would not exist.

But when did these markings first appear, and why?

Based on information contained in personal correspondence, publications and articles by S. Radtke, M. Boehme and J. Horn, it appears that the various KG(J) units adopted the fighter-style tactical markings sometime during the March 15 - March 22, 1945 period, with the markings themselves being applied during this time or a little later. Radtke infers that for I./KG(J) 54 this took place sometime between March 22-26.

It is important to recall that since mid-1944 several units on the Western Front had been wearing colourful tailbands for recognition purposes, with the first use of such markings by Strurmstaffel 1 (JG 1) appearing in October / November 1943. It was not until late February 1945 that the Luftwaffe got around to formalized the unit, colour(s) and pattern designations for the Jagdwaffe. It is known that several of the units never wore their assigned Reichsverteidigung bands. The order stated the reasons for these markings:

By the order of the Reichsmarschall and for purposes of improving aerial recognition, Jagdgeschwader aircraft are to be marked by fuselage-encircling colored stripes as indicated in the appended enclosure. Attention of troops down to platoon level is to be drawn to these markings which should simplify the recognition and distinction of our own aircraft.

I believe that Generalmajor Dietrich Peltz, commander of the Kampfflieger, believed that similar markings would be needed for the aircraft of the IX. Fliegerkorps under his command, especially since his Me 262 units were now operating as fighters. Since most of the available colour combinations had been used, it would make sense to use a different pattern given the limited colours available. Hence, the use of chequers as opposed to vertical bands. It is interesting to note that the colours selected for the KG(J) unit’s bands shared the same dominant colour used by fighter units that had the same numerical designations which surely cannot have been a coincidence:
  • Red – JG 6 & KG(J) 6
  • Green – JG 27 & KG(J) 27
  • Blue – JG 54 & KG(J) 54
With the exception of III./KG(J) 54, all Me 262s from III./KG(J) 6 and I./KG(J) 54 reveal identical RV band and number styles. Photos of Bf 109s of these units indicate that both wore the same colour bands but in different styles, the larger cheques probably created to better suit visibility on the narrow tapering fuselage of the Bf 109. KG(J) 27’s aircraft would be expected to follow this pattern and do.

So, with regards to the subject aircraft, it wore a blue and white chequer tailband associated with KG 54. Its Totenkopfwappen was painted out on the nosewhose outline matches that for the style used by the I. Gruppe. I attach, as requested by Walter and Roland, another published image of this aircraft. It certainly is NOT the same aircraft found at München-Riem as it is from the units III. Gruppe whereas the Moosburg aircraft is from its I. Gruppe.

Attachment 4283

That’s about all I can add to this discussion. More information and photos will be available upon the publication of a two-part series on Me 262 units operating in the Protectorate by JaPo that I am co-authoring.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

David

References

Boehme, M., 1992. JG 7 - The World’s First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945. Schiffer Publishing Ltd., Altglen, Pennsylvania, 230p.

Proulx, M., 2005. Wings of the Black Cross – Volume 3. Eagle Editions, Hamilton, 36p.

Horn, J, 1996. Als die Kampfflieger noch Jäger werder Solten – Das Ende des KG(J) 6 im Raum Prag. Jägerblatt – Officielles Organ der Gemeinschaft der Jagdflieger E.V., Vol.XLV, Nr.1, Köln, p.38-43.

Radtke, S., 1990. Kampfgeschwader 54 - Von der Ju 52 zur Me 262 - Eine Chronik nach Kreigstagebüchern, Berichten und Documenten. Schild Verlag, München, 383p.

Smith, J. R., and Creek, E., J., 1982. Jet Planes of the Third Reich. Monogram Aviation Publications, Boylston, Massachusetts, 400p.

Last edited by David E. Brown; 2nd March 2010 at 23:39.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:45

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

Thanks David for this very informative post, I am looking forward to your book and the new research and material it will reveal.

I will leave it to others to speculate about the colors of this particular plane, though, but for me one question remains - Maybe I am totally blind or the contrast levels of my screen are gone somewhere over the rainbow, but WHERE is the numeral "3" on this plane?? I don't even have the slightest idea, even after prolonged staring...

Cheers,
Christian
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:08

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the kind words.

Take a look about halfway between the fuselage balkenkreuz and the rear of the cockpit - the '3' is outlined in black.

David
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:19

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

yes indeed, nicely written and argued David....

(..a very small point, but Sturmstaffel 1 wore fuselage tail bands from October/November 1943 predating the mid-1944 order..)
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:34

Falke,

I appreciate the reminder and have adjusted my post accordingly.

Many thanks,

David
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:48

RolandF is on a distinguished road

David - I believe you but I can´t see it

Thanks for this comprehensive summary on "Karobänder". Most interesting is your involvement in the upcoming JaPo publication and your info that it is projected as a two-volume treatise.

With such a lot of contents - am I right it will contain the ending of Gefechtsverband Hogeback on the airfields of Fassberg, München-Riem and Brunnthal?

Regards

Roland

P.S.: Looking (staring) long enough at the first photograph a black-lined "13" shows up. Should I go to the doctor´s?