Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th July 2012, 15:42
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Can you tell me where exaclty this is written? It is not common for a werk number for a simple "part" to be written like this. This is written like a main werk.

I disagree with ju55fk...

You have to remember that all current werk records are based on known "losses" and what was "supposed" to be ordered...they are not a reflection of what was actually ordered and not necessarily the exact production batches that were done...so it could easily be the main werk.

It is extremely unusual to have part number werk numbers written like that...
Old 20th July 2012, 15:43

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Not a great image taken with my phone, but the restored ailerons have arrived in the NASM museum.

Last edited by Tony Kambic; 22nd October 2012 at 15:53.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:54

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Can you tell me where exaclty this is written? It is not common for a werk number for a simple "part" to be written like this. This is written like a main werk.

I disagree with ju55fk...

You have to remember that all current werk records are based on known "losses" and what was "supposed" to be ordered...they are not a reflection of what was actually ordered and not necessarily the exact production batches that were done...so it could easily be the main werk.

It is extremely unusual to have part number werk numbers written like that...
Hi,
I am inclined to agree and seem to recall having seen the same number on another part, but sadly I cannot find the picture. Kim help please. If we find the same "W.Nr" on another part, then we have THE W.Nr, no matter what the sources say.
bregds
SES
Old 20th July 2012, 17:09

thlund is on a distinguished road

Harrison - having troubles accessing the net again so this is via iphone. Ón top of the pointy aft part of the nacelle there is a hatch that covers the refueling point for the tank inside. Inside is a recessed panel that the actual refueling point screws into. Along the side of this recessed panel, just inside was where this was written.

Of you look at the danas-have photos, camera 2, Line 17, pictures 2+3 i Think thats what he's looking at. Not completely sure because of my net problems.

I'm interested in the technical aspects of these planes, so werk no etc is not something I've dived into a lot. But I must say that it would puzzle me if the methodical Germans would give sub assemblies werk no's that could be mistaken for full plane want. And this indeed has the shape/size of a full wnr. But again - its not my area
Old 20th July 2012, 18:10
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

I do not know the sources that Harrison uses, but in the recent years there have surfaced other sources than losses. So to find a Wnr. totally new to the He 219 series seems unlikely. But I would love to be proven wrong.

Junker
Old 21st July 2012, 14:35

Kim Christiansen is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Hello All

@ SES 203 + @ 201

Please look at the attached image from Fuel Cones ..
Greetings
Kim C

http://www.danas-have.dk/He219.htm

Last edited by Kim Christiansen; 24th August 2015 at 20:45.
Old 21st July 2012, 15:56
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

In this case, it is a part number for the nacell only.

95% of all werk numbers ranges are based on orders placed, and actual documented losses - not on the specific werk numbers made. I have never actually seen official documents from any wartime manufacture that states, "on this day we made werk # "X", and it was complete, transferred to unit "X". There are numerous wrecks from various aircraft being found where the main werk falls "outside" the werk number ranges that are documented, as well as loss records.

Which documents are you referring to specifically?
Old 21st July 2012, 16:24

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Christiansen View Post
Hello All

@ SES 203 + @ 201

Please look at the attached image from Fuel Cones ..
Greetings
Kim C
Thanks Kim, the great animal is if you find the same number on another major part of the a/c.
bregds
SES
Old 21st July 2012, 16:47

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Dear Harrison,

I agree with Jörn Junker completely because that little bunch of active He219 researchers do agree about the Werkenummer sequences produced and 195xxx were not among these.
If one tries to understand the history of the He219 in reading all what has been written about this nightfighter, everyone is deluded by numerous errors and misconceptions, which seem to increase with each next publication, that's why some people started last year to reconstruct the history with as much primary sources as possible and as a result, several myths and big question marks have been solved.

You are raising a good question how we can be sure:
The initial Schwechat production including 11 of the 12 preproduction prototypes of He219A-0's is for 99,9% sure and well documented in the Heinkel archives, the few uncertainties are the few losses due to allied bomb raids in april and june 1944 and the few He219D-0's of early 1945.
However, with the help of a few known Werkenummer and known deliveries/acceptance numbers, these can be reconstructed pretty well. Nearly all Werkenummer/Stammkennzeichen combinations are now known as well.

The Rostock produced He219's show another picture: except for the very first He219V-1 prototype, the first series produced He219A-0 was delivered 30 April 1944. Though most of the following Werkenummer blocks can be distinguished based on known Werkenummer, known Stammkennzeichen of combinations of these, we must also rely on known first flights and/or transfer dates in flight logs, to define the Rostock production.

All the best,
Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Old 21st July 2012, 19:16
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

I am 100 % sure, that the this WNr. 195487 has no connection to the aircraft WNr. It is simply WNr. of Gerät Nr. 8-4366B-1, i.e. 390 l fuel tank made by Carl Otto Raspe & Co in Berlin.

Matti