Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd January 2024, 22:22
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: eBay: Allied intrest

https://www.ebay.de/itm/145531309875...Bk9SR4iqgMaZYw
Old 3rd January 2024, 23:10
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Confused???

In the above link we see a Fokker G.I in German markings posted to the Allied and Soviet Air Forces Board and yet looking at this link on the Luftwaffe Board at number 8 we see a document posted on 30 December at 01.16

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...49508&page=344

1. 1. You appear unable to differentiate between Dutch and German, much less read either.

2. 2. It even says in the seller’s description Dutch Air Force.

3. 3. The aircraft listed in the document are all clearly Dutch,Fokker G.1 are even mentioned, but then anyone actually interested in the Allied and Soviet Air Forces would know this and post on the appropriate board…Not the first time this has been an issue is it?

Not a lot of consistency here is there?

What was it you said ‘I have learned a lot here. I just want to add to the historical record.’Really, you seem intent on muddying the historical record,not adding to it.
Old 4th January 2024, 00:31
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14553071357...cAAOSwQmlllCEZ
Old 4th January 2024, 00:38

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Musec04,

your criticism of that photo posting by Ed West is both petty and unfounded. I feel it is equally valid in either section, Allied or German.
If you want to criticise anyone then direct it at the sellers who mislabel their photos, sometimes deliberately it seems to inflate the price.
I know we can sometimes be cranky and deflated after a Christmas season, but really.......!
Ed, please keep up your excellent work, to the benefit of all of us - even the cranky ones !

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 4th January 2024, 09:58
Alter Hase

Hello Martin,

Interesting that this reply is from you rather than the person to whom it is addressed .No matter, to proceed specifically with regard to the above post it does matter that the document be placed on the correct page. The reason being that to judge by the responses to posts on the German interest section shall we say between September and the New Year, the document may well have not been picked up at all by those interested.

I have highlighted this document but the point has a wider validity, if your only search criteria is the word ‘Luftwaffe’, then much will be missed. Equally , a differentiation between what is interesting and what is not interesting becomes needlessly time consuming when the poster is incapable of making this judgement himself. This is exacerbated by a dreary spam like list of links with zero information as to what is under the links. Therefore the point made by the poster that ‘I have learned a lot here. I just want to add to the historical record.’ called as far as I am concerned for a response. I accept that you disagree. For you and for anyone else paste and go this link for quicker more informative information than provided by Ed West’s lists..

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from...=15502&_sop=10

It goes without saying that those who do respond to Ed Wests posts are actually in a position to decide themselves what is or is not interesting and even search for and post the links themselves. Alas, Ed’s evident lack of interest compared to 95% of the board users would appear to preclude him from identifying and deciding what is or is not interesting. He would ‘like to add to the historical record’ but cannot. This would appear to be the obvious motive for the aforementioned spam lists.He is incapable of captioning his posts.Nor have his posts improved over time,the opposite is the case.

I have posted to underline the fact that Ed West’s posts are uninformative and not user friendly. You have responded to defend him. I see no reason to doubt your motives or those of any others that defend him. Your post speaks well to your kindness and humanity. But are you actually doing him any favours, despite your best intentions? Please see this link

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=64476

Nick Beale has previously asked me to avoid unqualified medical statements and I shall follow his wishes here. It seems to me that in essence almost all posts on TOCH cover either aircraft or aircrew. I do wonder however, about a hypothetical case where a patient explained to a GP the purpose of TOCH and then stated that he believed these images fit the purpose of the board. Believe me I worry about my own declining mental abilities and have parents in their eighties. Therefore when I say that kind intentions and kind words while obviously always desirable may not be in a person’s best interest when their actions are contrary to their personal dignity and I hope that if my symptoms ever become too pronounced the moderator thanks me for what I have done, whether sincerely or not (!) and says it is time to stop.

Regards,

Clint
Old 5th January 2024, 10:08

Steve Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
Musec04,

your criticism of that photo posting by Ed West is both petty and unfounded. I feel it is equally valid in either section, Allied or German.
If you want to criticise anyone then direct it at the sellers who mislabel their photos, sometimes deliberately it seems to inflate the price.
I know we can sometimes be cranky and deflated after a Christmas season, but really.......!
Ed, please keep up your excellent work, to the benefit of all of us - even the cranky ones !

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Totally agree with the above!
Old 5th January 2024, 11:25
Alter Hase

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your input. Unsurprisingly I do not agree with your take. To reiterate the West posts are unhelpful:

1. Because of their lack of information.

2. The inability of their poster to determine what is or is not relevant to the thread.

3. The lack of any idea of whether a post is interesting or not.

Combine the above three elements and you have Luftwaffenspam.

I have said in my last post in this thread that Martin’s sentiments reflect well on him as a human being and I might say the same of you. However, should your posts tend to convince Ed West that his post are not problematical, I question whether TOCH as a whole benefits.

I tend to have long breaks here between bouts of posting and noticed instantly the degradation in the quality of posting upon my recent return. I feel this needs addressing. Clearly you disagree. To paraphrase the Marx Brothers, you don’t like the post I highlighted from the thread on 30th December at 01.16, I have others. So lets go through them one as increased exposure is welcome.

Aircraft photos. Are these interesting? I don’t claim to know enough to judge, but the poster has not described what is shown and I don’t see what is interesting about the 109 photo or the Fi 156 of AufklGr.(H)/14, though the photo of the latter seems familiar. My argument, if posting help the viewer to decide whether to open by posting details.

Book supposedly, no link.

Definitely a book. What is it doing here? See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake

Equipment. I really did think that this thread was for posting aircraft photos. Seems like another category error.

The Dutch document in a Luftwaffe thread. I believe we’ve covered this.

We seem to have a arrived at a situation where one poster, posts whatever he likes,whereever he likes regardless of whether interesting or not, seen before or not, relevant or not. The common link being that the seller has Luftwaffe in the title of the item.

How has this situation arisen. I would argue precisely because almost everyone here on TOCH is a kind person and does not wish to address problems. This has let the problem worsen and at its worst as I previously stated leads to posts like this one.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=64476

Regards,

Clint
Old 6th January 2024, 01:24
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

From Ed's Post 2920/21, 22,23.
Anyone know more about this Mosquito , note date on negative ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155974507102
Old 7th January 2024, 02:18

AndyMa is on a distinguished road

I also enjoy browsing through the links Ed posts.
If you don't like them, just don't bother reading the thread.
Over 90% of the threads on this forum are of absolutely no interest to me, so I don't open them - simple....
Old 7th January 2024, 10:11
Alter Hase

Andy, I respect you and your contributions here. But I think I’d be correct in saying the bulk of responses to the thread ebay Allied Interest are from Stig, Bertrand and yourself. How much more interesting could this thread be if people such as yourselves (but also others) were posting the links. You know whether a photo is interesting or not and would be in a position to post such photos rather than simply posting photos at random which sometimes meet the thread description. The end result being a higher quality board.

You are correct I could just ignore the posts by Ed West, but I’ve a desire to see improvement. As a fellow Englishman, though the same would apply, I think to posters of most nationalities here you can see we live in a failing state because the government (regardless of party) pretends to do its job, the media instead of addressing real issues fails to address them, both being products of a failing education system and the same failures are present through all hierarchically organised organisations in the country. A significant root cause of this is people not speaking out and thus the propagation of mass male cattle droppings in all areas of human activity. Well I can’t change these things, but I can speak out where I see pretence in areas where I am involved and I chose to do so here with regard to the quality of posted links to this thread . ‘No to mass male cattle droppings on TOCH.’

Regards,

Clint