Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 19th September 2011, 02:20
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Forthcoming books from Chris Shores

Grubb Street has nothing on their website about the book and Amazon only has release date as the 19Sep2011. Frank have you heard anything else?
Old 19th September 2011, 19:59
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Chris turned the manuscript in a couple of weeks ago. He still has some final details to add to the ms, which he will do in the next week or two. John Davies at Grub Street will start the edit process soon. I think I saw a Jan 2012 release date somewhere.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:56

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk View Post
Chris turned the manuscript in a couple of weeks ago. He still has some final details to add to the ms, which he will do in the next week or two. John Davies at Grub Street will start the edit process soon. I think I saw a Jan 2012 release date somewhere.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Let us be realistic, say Mr Shores sent his last updated to the publisher in the early October, and then at least 1 month would be reasonable time for editing, and back and forth for some minor changes which would take extra time, then come the holiday season, that means more delay. After all that , send the manuscripts to the factory to print, many cases in foreign countries, transport the books and distribute the books, I will put my bet to Spring 2012 as the earliest time I can hold this book in my hands.
I will drive safely and pray will not suffer some serious illness in this period of time.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:42
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Mars:

Do you have a "real" problem here? C. Shores is a highly respected and serious historian. What difference does it make to you if the book is October or early 2012? Will that mean the end of western Civilization?

Let's be patient and let the man do his thing, correctly as possible.
Old 27th September 2011, 20:43

mars

"We're informed that Mediterranean Air War, 1940-1945, volume one: North Africa, June 1940 - January 1942 by Chris Shores, originally scheduled for publication earlier this month, has been delayed until spring 2012."
(http://stonebooks.com/)
Now I have a wonderful feeling of "I told you so", though of course all book written by Mr Shores are worth waiting for, and frankly I care of his books much more than the “fate of the western civilization” if anyone has to know, and would this book be printed in China as many other books do in nowadays?
Old 16th October 2011, 05:32
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Having just talked with Chris, I am able to report on his plans for The Mediterranean Air War.
Volume One will cover June 1940 to January 1942. It is now scheduled for late February next year. The delay was caused by Grub Street's decision to move quickly on their recently published book on the Nimrod in RAF service, since that type has just been retired from service.
Volume Two, which Chris is about to start working on, will cover February 1942 to March 1943 for the "Eastern" Desert. This is the point at which the Eastern and Western Desert campaigns merged.
Volume Three will cover Torch (November 1942 to March 1943 in the Western Desert, then continue to the close of the Tunisian campaign in May 1943.
Volume Four will cover May 1943 to September/October 1943, depending on how fat the book gets. It could stop just before Salerno.
Volume Five will cover September/October 1943 to the fall of Rome, June 1944.
Volume Six will cover June 1944 to May 1945.
Depending on how fat Volumes Five and Six get, they may or may not include 15th Air Force. If they do not cover 15th AF, it will be covered in a volume (or volumes) of its own.
There is also the possibility of a volume covering, or expanding on, the invasion of Southern France, and following those forces north into Germany. The manuscript was prepared many years ago, but never finished and published.
As far as I know all Grub Street books (military) are printed in England. The main reason for printing in the Far East is the high quality of their color work, so it is possible that Grub Street cook books are printed there. I do not have any, so I cannot check.
These books will take time, but I do not expect any "A Dance With Dragons" (5.5 years) or "The Art of Computer Programming, Vol 4A" (13 years from the 2nd edition of Vol 3) delays.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:59

mars

Excellent, Frank, it is always nice to know such kind of news
Old 27th October 2011, 16:18

Antoine is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this update.
Old 7th November 2011, 20:10
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Amazon now has it's pre-order price up. My order is in.
Old 29th December 2011, 17:21

mimithem is on a distinguished road

If anyone has got any contact details (mainly e-mail) of Mr. Shores, I ask him to send me a private message. Thank you!