Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th September 2007, 18:54

nemo7777777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe photos & items collection

"I could send you a list of all the photos I've used in my works from your so-called 'BIG black hole'" So just indicate in this forum how to contact the "big black hole" and how to deal with it, this would be quite enough for all the "outside" guys like me. Of course, I understand if one can take easily advantage of a monopolistic situation, one is not very much tempted to share openly the available ressources; so no need for you to play Mr. nice guy and show me as Mr. bad guy. By the way, no need also to use vulgar terms, I can understand what you say without them.
Old 29th September 2007, 20:06
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

I presume the 'BIG Black Hole' you talk about is all the photos that are won on e-bay and you expect will never see the light of day again. As has been stated before, tough - that's life. Some people gather photos and do nothing at all with them. That's a shame, but we all have to live with it.

Also, it's not a monopolistic situation - sudek (I presume that's who you are referring to) does not win every auction. In fact sudek does not bid on every auction. There are very many photos that are won by other people - christal109 for example. And sudek didn't win the photo of 3U+AA on e-bay recently. That went for big money, but sudek was outbid. But hey, I just have this feeling you'll see it again, if you buy books, that is...

I'm not playing Mr. Nice Guy, I'm just telling it like it is. Just make your own arrangements to contact sudek. That's what many others have done, isn't it?

Don't quite know what you mean with this phrase, perhaps you could clarify for me: "...Of course, I understand if one can take easily advantage of a monopolistic situation..."

And this one as well: "...one is not very much tempted to share openly the available ressources..." I get the impression you do not know the amount of 'networking' that goes on between researchers and authors. But I may be wrong.

I look forward with interest to your further reply.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 29th September 2007, 20:26
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Uhh....John, don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel!

Frankly, I agree with you completely!

John
Old 30th September 2007, 10:14

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
Uhh....John, don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel!

Frankly, I agree with you completely!

John
As do I. Writing a book is a tremendous amount of work, and you must equaly share your findings with your sources. Simple enough actually, they send the ore, we send back the gold. And it takes a great deal of time and trust for your sources to send you this information/photos, often at their expense or time. Many have invested an enormous amount in their collections, in both money, time and their own souces, and are obviously not inclined to just dole it out.

In the end, in a mutual relationship, the source benefits from your knowlege/findings of the subject, as to what a photo or document may show, and you gain the extra knowlege you just learned.

As John V. mentioned, a great deal of networking has to happen, and there HAS to be trust earned.

I feel extremely fortunate that I did meet those people, who have become friends. But I couldn't have done it with out them.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:33

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Fantastic idea! 100% support you.

Lets see some more picture sales on eBay!!!

BTW Ed please be encouraged: you are one of the best contributors to 12 O'Clock High! , your posts are easily my favourite.
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:54
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have posted another huge update with some very interesting stuff:

- A photo album with an unknown strange airplane --> who can identify it?
- A color movie with very nice aircraft shots, but expensive!
- Some very nice Me 109 G with wing cannon photos.
- etc. etc.

Regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:02
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I will continue. I am not perfect, God knows, but I'm getting tired of the whining noise here.

In the past, and still, to some degree, now, there was mail and the telephone. And there were people who knew people, who knew other people and so on, and one could almost call it a kind of private club. Plane trips to foreign countries are expensive. So one person has a lot of money, so what? It is the name of the game. Be thankful you have this place and the rest of the internet. I wouldn't know a fraction of what I know now if it were not for the people here, and elsewhere.

Regards,
Ed

So the next time you see a photo on eBay, and download it, be thankful.
Old 7th October 2007, 20:41
Alter Hase

Hello,

Just a quick note: I have started to post different aircraft types, articles, flight gear items, etc. in different posts and added corresponding labels to each post.

By doing so you can now easily find photos of a certain aircraft type by clicking on the labels on the right hand side of the blog. This will not only show the last post but all posts of a certain aircraft type (e.g. Me 109).

Also, I will start to show items from my collection on regular basis. If you have items in your collection you would like to show others I would be very glad if you contact me. Items could be: photos, aircraft parts & instruments, control sticks, Revi, documents, uniforms, flight gear, awards, etc. etc.

Regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 7th October 2007, 21:09

WEISNER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Luftwaffe photos & items collection

I also Thank Ed!!!! Due to his efforts and hard work, Which by the way he does not have to do for us...I have the oppertunity to view these photos before they are bought and go away. I can not afford to buy them, however enjoy looking at them via Ed's posts. Several hours over the years have been spent looking and talking about his posted links.

Keep up the good work Ed, No whining from me. Thank you for all your hard work.
Kevin
Old 7th October 2007, 21:28
Alter Hase

PS: I will soon also install a simplified forum (i.e. message box) where people can discuss photos and other items.

http://lwcollectibles.blogspot.com/

Regards
Roger Gaemperle