![]() |
|
|||||||
| Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
#21
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Thank you once again foer the replies everyone.
Stephen - I too am having trouble pinning down the reference you gave. Can you let us know the source? Regards Simon |
|
#22
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Daily intell reports as submitted by the squadrons.
|
|
#23
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Just for grins, I tried running vT876752 on the French Lambert Zone 1 grid. (Maybe an "8" got changed to a "0"). This comes up with a location roughly SE of Bayeux, but more interesting are the Street Names and related names in the area. "Le Grand Parc". Coincidence? Perhaps but very interesting. There is a hotel/ (maybe a B&B) there called "Le Grand Parc"
The area is here 49.240036, -0.580697 on Google Maps. Last edited by RSwank; 18th July 2015 at 14:01. |
|
#24
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Ha, I tried that method without success, but didn't think to change the 0 to 8!
La Cuilette du Grand Parc certainly looks quite Chateau-esque: http://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/...0x600/5718.jpg http://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/...00/gite_31.jpg http://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/...0x600/5717.jpg Regards Simon |
|
#25
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
I suspected there might have been an issue with the coordinates. After-all a lot was going on during the early morning of the 6th, but all of the fighter-bomber squadrons were given targets to attack so somewhere, the correct info for 197's target exists.
|
|
#26
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
I sent off a speculative e-mail to La Cuilette du Grand Parc yesterday, and received this reply, translated from the French:
"Indeed Le Grand Parc was a German communications center. There are two bunkers there and foundations of a transmitting antenna and a receiving antenna. It was a goal [target?] of 6 June. The English arrived on 7th." Simon |
|
#27
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Simon, that is most interesting.
Since they seem to be willing to respond, I guess you could ask them very specifically if the place was attacked by fighter bombers (Typhoons) around 8:00 am on June 6th. I wonder if they have any photos of how the place looked before or just after the attack? |
|
#28
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
I'm busy gathering some information to send them, and was going to ask those very questions, amongst others. I'll let you know how I get on.
I've had no reply from the Museum at Bayeux so far, by the way. Regards Simon |
|
#29
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Simon,
I gather no news on any of this? I think that this area was the "goal" of the 69th Infantry Brigade on June 6th. After landing on Gold Beach, they were suppose to take Saint-Leger (on the Bayeux-Caen road) by the evening of June 6th, but only made it to Coulombs. They took the area on June 7th. Perhaps that is all the Grand Parc people meant to say. |
|
#30
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
No, no news as yet. It's a busy time for the owners of La Cuilette, but they tell me they have documents about the ground attack in the area, and will scan them when they get some spare time.
Regards Simon |
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Sqn Ldr Tony Gaze DFC OAM, RIP | Steve Brew | Obituaries | 8 | 15th August 2013 23:12 |
| V-1 bombs shot down by U.S. Air Force | strafer | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 12 | 3rd April 2010 03:31 |
| Which Allied unit made the attack? | Mikael Olrog | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 8 | 31st January 2010 23:20 |
| Questions on 8th AF Swinemünde raid on 12 March 1945 | Juha | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 28 | 8th October 2009 16:32 |
| Operation Aphrodite | Brian | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 25 | 12th March 2006 18:40 |