Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th August 2021, 18:47
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: eBAy: Captured german planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-André Haldimann View Post
Possibly Bf 109 G-10/R2 W.Nr. 770 338 "Kleine Weisse 2", 1./NAGr. 11, Campoformido, Summer 1945.

Cheers
Marc
Is that the wrong attachment, Marc?

Here is the one I guess you meant, straightened out and cleaned up a little (there wasn't much I could do—too many reflections from the glossy surface). All I could "uncover" was black/white Balkenkreuze under the wings.
Old 9th August 2021, 20:23
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Is that the wrong attachment, Marc?

Here is the one I guess you meant, straightened out and cleaned up a little (there wasn't much I could do—too many reflections from the glossy surface). All I could "uncover" was black/white Balkenkreuze under the wings.

Yes Nick, and thanks for your unharmed image.

That's the plane I'm thinking of: we have film stills and photos of this machine at an earlier stage of decay - the prop and spinner still attached:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/280920...7631640877952/

Notice the damage pattern around the starboard cockpit area - our guide for identifying the airframe:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/280920...7631640877952/

Cheers
Marc
Old 10th August 2021, 05:42

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Gents,

A close look at the photo of the Ju 88 A in Post #4663 reveals that there is a small numeric-letter code visible just above the ‘h’ in the watermark. The letter looks to be a “K” though the number is unclear.

If “1K” this points to a machine with NSGr. 4, though I have not found any evidence that it used Ju 88s. Barry Rosch in his book notes that “1K” was also used by the Stab or Staffeln within III./KG 27, but this Geschwader operated He 111s.

“3K” was used by Minensuchsgruppe 1 and its Ju 52/3(MS) aircraft.

It is possible that the machine was an ex-I./KG 3 Ju 88 A-4 (“5K”) and used by another unit following the Geschwader’s disbandment in July 1944. But use the unit code would be redundant for a now non-existent Geschwader. And especially so since the aircraft was repainted and shows little sign of wear.

“6K” was assigned to Aufkl.Gr.(H) 23 though it did not use Ju 88s. Rosch notes that it may have been used by NSGr. 6, so it is possible that the machine was associated with this unit, though it does not appear that it operated Ju 88s.

If “9K” this would suggest a KG 51 aircraft. However, at this time its I. Gruppe had look since converted to the Me 262 and also the colouration of the spinner does not match the style seen on photos. Photos reveal this Geschwader and its sub units commonly had the front half or all of the spinner painted in the respective Staffel colour. Again, why paint this code on an aircraft not used by the unit?

Rosch indicates that the unit association with codes 2K, 4K, 7K and 8K are unknown. Is there any new information on these?

I also observe just ahead of the Balkenkreuz the lower half of a white letter, possibly an ‘E’ or ‘L’. Note also that the spinner has twin white rings in a style reflecting that used by KG 6. White + white would indicate 1. Staffel / I. Gruppe. Perhaps this was a machine from this unit that was reallocated once the unit began conversion to the Me 262. Certainly it has been re-painted, presumably overall RLM 75 on its uppersurfaces with a wellen of RLM 76. To me this looks like a modified night camouflage, and would support its nocturnal use. The the outer wing bomb racks might support this.

So: possibly “1K+we.E/LH” of 1./NSGr. 4?

Any thoughts on this machines identity are appreciated.

David
Old 10th August 2021, 10:03

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

David, I just did a quick search through my photo collection and found the very same style of spinner markings on Ju 88 L1+BM of II./LG 1, which was captured at Salzburg in 1945.

Another photo from the same lot as the one in post #4663 was captioned as "Naumburg" (which, in this instance, might mean the landing strip at Bad Kösen / Punschrau). One of the last airfields of II./LG 1, Pretzsch, is rather near-by. So perhaps this is an aircraft of II./LG 1? The unit code is also veeery unclear in this photo, to be honest. I would not draw any conclusions based on this one.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 10th August 2021, 11:00

Matolion is on a distinguished road

If there aren't two machines with the same damage, which I doubt, it was the White P, W.Nr.??44
Old 10th August 2021, 15:22

jim norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
David, I just did a quick search through my photo collection and found the very same style of spinner markings on Ju 88 L1+BM of II./LG 1, which was captured at Salzburg in 1945.

Another photo from the same lot as the one in post #4663 was captioned as "Naumburg" (which, in this instance, might mean the landing strip at Bad Kösen / Punschrau). One of the last airfields of II./LG 1, Pretzsch, is rather near-by. So perhaps this is an aircraft of II./LG 1? The unit code is also veeery unclear in this photo, to be honest. I would not draw any conclusions based on this one.

Cheers,
Christian
just like i said :-)
there were also other machines of II./LG 1, which were marked in the same way. see those ju88 from barth/baltic sea.
all the best
jim
Old 10th August 2021, 18:23

Stephen M. Fochuk is on a distinguished road

Is this 88 an A-13 variant? Would that outer wing rack carry that WB80 pod?

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown View Post
Gents,

A close look at the photo of the Ju 88 A in Post #4663 reveals that there is a small numeric-letter code visible just above the ‘h’ in the watermark. The letter looks to be a “K” though the number is unclear.

If “1K” this points to a machine with NSGr. 4, though I have not found any evidence that it used Ju 88s. Barry Rosch in his book notes that “1K” was also used by the Stab or Staffeln within III./KG 27, but this Geschwader operated He 111s.

“3K” was used by Minensuchsgruppe 1 and its Ju 52/3(MS) aircraft.

It is possible that the machine was an ex-I./KG 3 Ju 88 A-4 (“5K”) and used by another unit following the Geschwader’s disbandment in July 1944. But use the unit code would be redundant for a now non-existent Geschwader. And especially so since the aircraft was repainted and shows little sign of wear.

“6K” was assigned to Aufkl.Gr.(H) 23 though it did not use Ju 88s. Rosch notes that it may have been used by NSGr. 6, so it is possible that the machine was associated with this unit, though it does not appear that it operated Ju 88s.

If “9K” this would suggest a KG 51 aircraft. However, at this time its I. Gruppe had look since converted to the Me 262 and also the colouration of the spinner does not match the style seen on photos. Photos reveal this Geschwader and its sub units commonly had the front half or all of the spinner painted in the respective Staffel colour. Again, why paint this code on an aircraft not used by the unit?

Rosch indicates that the unit association with codes 2K, 4K, 7K and 8K are unknown. Is there any new information on these?

I also observe just ahead of the Balkenkreuz the lower half of a white letter, possibly an ‘E’ or ‘L’. Note also that the spinner has twin white rings in a style reflecting that used by KG 6. White + white would indicate 1. Staffel / I. Gruppe. Perhaps this was a machine from this unit that was reallocated once the unit began conversion to the Me 262. Certainly it has been re-painted, presumably overall RLM 75 on its uppersurfaces with a wellen of RLM 76. To me this looks like a modified night camouflage, and would support its nocturnal use. The the outer wing bomb racks might support this.

So: possibly “1K+we.E/LH” of 1./NSGr. 4?

Any thoughts on this machines identity are appreciated.

David
Old 12th August 2021, 09:49
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114931473...MAAOSwBbphE~ij
Old 12th August 2021, 09:55
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16501409966...4AAOSwwD1hFGt2
Old 12th August 2021, 12:30
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enoughSnautzer will become famous soon enough

he219 tail discussed here but different picture.
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showpo...postcount=1243