Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 30th March 2008, 11:06

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: What's the future of WW2 historical writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatrickham View Post
I think if History is treated like Archeology and there is no interest in reading
about it then we may be doomed to repeat it.
As an archaeologist, and aviation history writer, I would be greatly interested if there is the slightest area of Me 262 that hasn't been covered (the subject I know best).

I'm willing to look into an area that meets an interest, but I think it's pretty much done.
Old 16th May 2008, 17:32

Mathsmal is on a distinguished road

I've been doing some research recently into first person testimonies (mostly oral histories) that are held in UK archives/museums/etc.

While the Imperial War Museum sound archive is well used, there are a large number of recordings in other collections which haven't been published (and in some cases probably haven't been listened to since they were recorded). I've started putting together a site which lists all of these archives - www.recollectionsofwwii.co.uk. There are many which I haven't listed yet, but even with the ones listed so far, I think it shows there are untapped sources of information for future authors.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:00
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

As a professional writer with some exposure to Hollywood, all I can say is: it's a business. The movies are tailored to the biggest audience and/or target demographic. Further, what passes for news in the United States has declined to the reading of various press releases and celebrity nonsense. When the primary goal is to get the greatest number of people to watch the greatest number of commercials and cutting costs, well, it's almost self-explanatory. Why pay for accuracy when it is perceived it won't matter? And then there is the ego of the Producer who may simply want something put in regardless of its accuracy.

I rely primarily on well written books and select other publications. The internet is a minefield with some usefulness but only for those who fully understand the pitfalls. And intelligent internet forums are rare. Too many, in my view, teach people how to be rude, stupid and lazy. "Dude, I'd look it up for ya but I'm too busy now." Apparently, a google search that takes under 0.5 seconds would be too taxing.

On the positive side, birds of a feather do sometimes find each other on the electronic Wild Wild West.

Regards,
Ed