Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th July 2016, 00:29
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: What is the "Holy Grail" of Luftwaffe Research

A few of my thoughts regarding files. Although the Americans, and others, captured literally tons of documents, many documents were also put on microfilm. The Germans, and a few of their allies, may have done the same during the war. Their purpose would have been transporting a smaller number of microfilm containers to other locations. I have read many reports of not just a mass burning of files and photographs, but I have also read of material being held in private collections, the owners unknown till today. So, for one purpose, the burning of physical documents could be a ruse. It is also true that many original documents and reports by T-Force, the American Counter-Intelligence Corps, which sometimes worked with T-Force, and other units like the Field Intelligence Agency, Technical, collected material and took their own photos. A significant amount of which are still classified.

The Germans, including the Deutsches Museum, negotiated with the Americans for the return of historical documents to Germany for decades.

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic...ond-world-war#

These included files from the ALSOS Mission which were sent to the Deutsches Museum in the late 1990s, sorted and reviewed, and in 2001, selected documents were put on public display. There is no mention as to why other files were not displayed.

Ed

Last edited by edwest2; 27th July 2016 at 01:31.
Old 27th July 2016, 00:34

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Reliable LW operational loss reports for West.

On Allied side, my holy grail is the first P-51B-1 modified with a fuselage tank between July 6, 1943 and July 21, 1943
Old 27th July 2016, 16:19

hucks216 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
A few of my thoughts regarding files. Although the Americans, and others, captured literally tons of documents, many documents were also put on microfilm. The Germans, and a few of their allies, may have done the same during the war. Their purpose would have been transporting a smaller number of microfilm containers to other locations. I have read many reports of not just a mass burning of files and photographs, but I have also read of material being held in private collections, the owners unknown till today. So, for one purpose, the burning of physical documents could be a ruse. It is also true that many original documents and reports by T-Force, the American Counter-Intelligence Corps, which sometimes worked with T-Force, and other units like the Field Intelligence Agency, Technical, collected material and took their own photos. A significant amount of which are still classified.

The Germans, including the Deutsches Museum, negotiated with the Americans for the return of historical documents to Germany for decades.

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic...ond-world-war#

These included files from the ALSOS Mission which were sent to the Deutsches Museum in the late 1990s, sorted and reviewed, and in 2001, selected documents were put on public display. There is no mention as to why other files were not displayed.

Ed
There is someone over on the WAF selling microfish containing loss reports - His selling blurb is...
For sale is a complete set of over 500 microfish lost cards on microfish cards.
The set is in mint condition and complete. It contains all German aircarft losses with name of the pilot serial no aircraft type and serial no as well engine type and serial no.

ULTRA RARE SET OF THE LOSSES OVER THE OPERATION AREA

FRANCE
BELGIUM
NETHERLANDS
GERMANY

OPERATION OVERLORD
OPERATION MARKET GARDEN
UNTERNEHMEN BODENPLATTE
REICHSVERTEIDIGUNG

- so far he has asked for 450 Euros. I have no knowledge of these things and have no connection to the seller but thought I'd make people aware in case it is of interest...
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=870498
Old 27th July 2016, 17:04
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

With all due respect, I would think twice before buying such expensive things. Thanks for the pointer.

Ed
Old 27th July 2016, 21:24
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

so far he has asked for 450 Euros. I have no knowledge of these things and have no connection to the seller but thought I'd make people aware in case it is of interest...
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=870498

By Selke, that cost much more, I could give mines for free ...

Rémi

Nd nothing new there