Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th June 2008, 18:10
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Making available an archive of NVMs and research materials wanted on the Polish Campaign.

Hello,

As many of you know if you've followed this message board, last August I acquired the huge Henrich Weiss achive, which was compiled over some 40 years prior to his death a few years ago. Among this collection were about 3500 NVMs for personnel/crew losses for bombers, Lehr, Stuka, Aufklar, ErprG210, Wekusta, transport and Seenotflug units. These are mostly during 1940, but a few from 1939, a fairly large number from 1941, and even a very few SNFK losses all the way up to 1944. These were copied beginning during the late 1970s at the WASt by a group of German researchers who were allowed to rent a photocopy machine and bring it into the WASt to make copies. It appears unlikely that such a project would be allowed today. I also have about 90 more from JG2 and JG26, primarily from 1941, and most of the ZG losses in 1940, the latter contributed by a member of our working group, bringing the total to close to 4000 NVMs. These are now well organized and we have compiled a full index of these by unit, date and pilot's name, so that we can locate specific files, or even determine if we have them, fairly efficiently.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this collection available to the serious
Luftwaffe researcher community, without a) pissing off the WASt, which has
largely shut down access to these research documents except to family members, and b) creating a huge workload and expense for myself and my associated members of the "Eagles over Europe Working Group" (EOE WG), who are maintaining this collection for me in Europe (I live in the USA). I want to make it clear that I'm NOT selling these and will take NO compensation for making copies of these available. This would be strictly a gratis service to the research community. Moreover, if I make these available, I feel that they will have to be censored to the current standards now used by the WASt, to remove next of kin addresses, etc. to protect the privacy of the families of the deceased. In the USA, copies of MACRs (Missing Aircrew Reports) are readily available as public records to anyone, but I want to be sensitive to the differing standards of the German Government and public.

As members of the research community, I'm seeking your suggestions of how this might best be done. I'm concerned that this could take a lot of time and a fair amount of expense making copies and shipping these to people all over the world. Yet, I don't want to see the serious research community denied access to such an important research tool. This collection is only a small piece of the full NVM collection at WASt, but having these available may greatly assist certain researchers with their projects. So, I'm seeking your comments and suggestions about how to do this. Do not respond and ask for copies, as I'm only seeking advice on how this might best be done. I am not yet ready to actually start this. This must be done with lots of forethought and planning or it could become a nightmare for me and my associates, and a greater expense than I'm willing to bear.

A second request that some of you may be able to help me with: I'm looking for copies of the NVMs for all Luftwaffe losses during the Polish Campaign of Sept. 1939 for a very important research project on that subject. We have only a few at present. I'm also looking for copies of documentary material on Luftwaffe operations there. If anyone has a collection of materials on that subject, other than Marius Emmerling, who is already working with our group, I would like to hear about it. This would include Flugbuchs, KTBs, mission reports, unit records, diaries, personal accounts, aircrew interview transcriptions and other such materials.

I look forward to your thoughts on both of these issues.
Old 13th June 2008, 20:50
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Making available an archive of NVMs and research materials wanted on the Polish Campaign.

Larry,

Would it be possible to scan these and have them hosted somewhere on the internet? I'd probably be willing to do the same with my small collection of these as well.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:01
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Making available an archive of NVMs and research materials wanted on the Polish Campaign.

Jim,

I'd given some thought to that, but some of these have multiple pages to them and scanning, editing and posting that volume of materials, plus paying the cost of hosting this material, is way beyond what I'm interested in doing. Also, as I said, I don't want to piss off the WASt. I have no idea how they would react to having this material posted on the net.

Regards
Old 14th June 2008, 01:38
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

I see your point - and even with some type of login security it might be problematic. However copying and mailing certainly would be expensive as well. However one-time scanning and allowing some type limited time/IP address access to those files with you being the gatekeeper, i.e. requests to access through you or your team for approval, via some type of FTP/SFTP might be possible - I'm not entirely sure how that all works exactly, but it may be worth exploring. It would probably be cheaper than the photocopy/mail option.

Then again you could also scan once and load to CD/DVD as required. That may be the simplest way to go. The KISS principal is usually a the best.
Old 14th June 2008, 15:51
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

As the late-1939 to mid-1941 time period is not exactly my field of research (with a few exceptions), all I would like to say at this point is that Larry's offer is very generous and it would be a great assistance to the aviation research comunity. Thanks, Larry, for thinking strategically, and considering helping other historians' work. Great and generous thought.

P.S. I would also consider the electronical avenue, as Jim suggested, as it's probably the cheapest and quickest way of sharing information.
Old 14th June 2008, 22:33
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea of Jim to share is not exactly a bad idea I hv also some thousands myself nd if an adaquate solution could be found I will contribute in

Remi
Old 15th June 2008, 00:16

Bogdan is on a distinguished road
How can I find a CD format dealing with all luftwaffe losses in 39-41 and further?

I wish i could have that CD format very much, who wouldn't?
Please let me know what to do.
Thanks, Bogdan
Old 18th June 2008, 22:00
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Original thread before unproductive debate.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th June 2008, 23:42
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

So as the master said,

My NVMs are already all scanned, I hv some facilities to make scans, burning CD not much more difficult

rémi
Old 19th June 2008, 02:41
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Ruy,

Thanks for saving this post from wandering off into the endless and unproductive personal wars over the story of the Polish Campaign.

Regards,