Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th March 2024, 19:36
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
cne Charles LeRoy GCIII/3 and GCI/7

Sources credit him with four confirmed aerial victories in WW2. One in GCIII/3 and three with GCI/7.

I haven't found any claims for LeRoy in the GCIII/3 sources for BoF, and only one confirmed (a "Fw200" - actually a He177 of KG40) and two probables in GCI/7. One of the probables is also a "Fw200" on 26 November 1943, and the second a Bf109 claimed in December 1944.

I actually believe that LeRoy was credited with a shared kill on 26 November 1943 rather than an individual kill and a shared probable but that is because (probably through correction by forumites or other sources long mislaid) I think the claims of GCI/7 were reduced from 4-2-5 to 3-0-5 after the combat was assessed. In fact (as Chris Goss has established) six He177s were destroyed in the attack. Neither Do217 or Fw200 were present despite the French claims. Although their claimed of four destroyed were pretty accurate despite Beaufighters adding to the tally.

Unfortunately LeRoy was killed in a flying accident in 1947.

Any opinions or information gratefully accepted.

best regards

Keith