Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th July 2009, 00:15

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Eric Carter video interview-last surviving pilot of RAF 81. Squadron. Link here.

Guys here's the video I recorded of Eric Carter chatting about his experiences in WW2.

I have tried to keep the questions limited so that Eric could chat unhindered by my interruptions and think I have managed to be reasonably successful.

Eric flew Hurricane's with 615 Squadron, and then transferred to No.81 Squadron and was shipped out to Murmansk in Russia, to help the fight against the Germans, who it was feared if they took Murmansk, would have a significant foothold to strike Allied Forces.

He was later transferred to Burma and fought the Japanese and talks about the day the group he was with heard news of the Atom Bomb and wars end.

I have added some images sourced from the internet along with images supplied by Eric himself to break up the footage so it's not just Eric chatting.

I hope you find it interesting. Now, I've uploaded it to Blip TV, as the file is 1hr and 16 minutes long, and this was the only free hosting site I could find that could take such a large file.

The footage has been compressed to flv format, but the audio and video (if you keep it default size), is more than viewable (I hope you agree).

Now, the one thing I would point out is that on the morning of the interview, by tie-clip microphone broke, so I had to use by emergency backup. It's the very obvious white tie-clip microphone, which frustrated me, but it's all I had available, apologies for it

So, without further ado, here you go:

http://blip.tv/file/2377138/

Cheers, MP.

PS. Once I have finished the Checkertails Movie/Documentary, I will do this for each of pilot interviews I have filmed and release them on the internet.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:01

timothy is on a distinguished road
Re: Eric Carter video interview-last surviving pilot of RAF 81. Squadron. Link here.

Well worth every long hour spent on it!

And don't apologise for prompts. Even though Eric is the world's best chatter, it's good to have a steer.

Tim