Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th June 2008, 06:18

jburton is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Seaplane records north sea

Hello.

I am researching a relative, Sergeant Ronald Garnet BURTON, R.A.A.F, No: 403856. He was second pilot in Manchester L7471 (50 Squadron R.A.F). Aircraft crash in the north sea approximately 40-50 miles from Frisian Islands on the 7th June, 1942, after raid on Emden.
All crew members except Sgt BURTON were captured by German seaplane crew, about one hour after crash. Sgt BURTON went down with plane, believed killed upon impact. The remaining crew were flown to Nordeney Island.

I got this information from RAAF records relating to Sgt BURTON and the Repatriated POW statements from the other crew members.

I am interested/wanting to know the following:

1. Would there be any German Luftwaffe records availiable which were made by the seaplane crew about the capture.

2. Where would have the seaplane been based.

3. Would have it been a chance capture/rescue, or was this a regular occurrence after an air raid.

Any other information or advice that would be helpful.

JBURTON
Old 24th June 2008, 11:13

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Seaplane records north sea

The only Luftwaffe seaplane unit that operated in this area in June 1942, must have been the Air-Sea rescue unit Seenotstaffel 4 that was based in Norderney and Schellingwoude (Amsterdam). Unfortunately, there are to my knowledge no Luftwaffe records available. The Seenotstaffel 4 was on 10.06.1942 equipped with 7 He 59 of which 6 were operational. In addition the unit also had a He 60 for various other purposes than Air Sea rescue. The only records I can think of that may contain any information, must be those of the Kriegsmarine.
Old 25th June 2008, 02:34

jburton is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
The information is much appreciated. Can you perhaps point me in the right direction as to where I might get/apply for/inquire into Kriegsmarine records.

Jburton
Old 25th June 2008, 08:54

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough

The Kriegsmarine records are held by the Bundesarchiv Militärarchiv in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:44

Robert Reid

These units were Kriegsmarine not Luftwaffe.

Records seem to be available as mentioned .

I met someone several years ago in Berlin who had researched these units for book,dont have contact details to hand but think name is Horst Buellow? He wrote book about seaplane units several years ago.

Robert