Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 13th July 2010, 20:19
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
David Glantz?

I am curious what Russian historians think about the prolific writings of David Glantz's works on various WWII Eastern Front battles, etc. I know what Wikipedia says, but I am curious about opinions from Russia. Any comments?
Old 16th July 2010, 18:59
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: David Glantz?

John, I am not Russian, but some comments anyway. As I have exchanged e-mails with David more than a few times, I have to a bit careful not to reveal anything that is to remain private. Anyway, David is a quite sober minded author who does have some weaknesses as well and that is the relatively poorish use of German sources. I.e. he sometimes takes e.g. German strength and casualty figures from Soviet accounts though German sources would be quite easily available.

His actual access to Russian archives is perhaps less good than sometimes advertized. And he readily admits that. Nevertheless, he presents lots of material not available in English elsewhere. E.g. the current Stalingrad trilogy shows how poor author A. Beevor actually is. In fact, so poor that Beevor should not be even honoured with the title MILITARY historian.

Last edited by Jukka Juutinen; 17th July 2010 at 11:49. Reason: typos
Old 17th July 2010, 03:53
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: David Glantz?

Interesting. Thanks for your comments Jukka!