Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th August 2018, 12:53

BrianC is on a distinguished road
W/C C.W.M. LING DFC

Hi guys

W/Cdr Christopher Ling was awarded the DFC in November 1944, when CO of 51 Squadron. However, the citation stated that he had been credited with one air victory and shares in two others.

Any information?

Cheers
Brian

PS: I'm shown as 'Junior Member' but was until recently an 'Alter Hase'! Demotion!
Old 28th August 2018, 14:54
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: W/C C.W.M. LING DFC

If you go to the NA site, there are a number of combat reports for a Fg Off Ling of 9 Sqn 1 Mar and 26 Nov 43 being 2 of them...........
Old 29th August 2018, 09:31

Col Ford

W/Cdr C.W.M. 'Larry' Ling DFC, AFC (Greece). He was already a W/C in early 1941, having been a pre-war member of the RAF serving in the Far East and Middle East. From June 1940 to August 1941 he served as the Chief Flying Instructor at No.4 FTS at Habbaniya in Iraq with the rank of W/Cdr. He was there during the Iraqi Insurgency in 1941.

There he was heavily involved in the RAF air operations in defence of that RAF Station against insurgent Iraqi forces supported by elements of the Luftwaffe and Italian Air Force from May 2, 1941 until May 31, 1941, leading one of the hastily formed ‘squadrons’ “C” Squadron equipped with ten Hawker Audaxes operating off the Station’s polo field. During the battle for Habbaniya, he had been sorely injured by ground fire from Iraqi positions during a diving bombing attack flying a Hawker Audax. He was wounded through both buttocks which required his hospitalisation, lying on his face due to the nature of his injuries. (For more on the Battle for Habbaniya may I commend "Hidden Victory - The Battle of Habbaniya, May 1941" written by Air Vice-Marshall AG Dudgeon CBE DFC, who was a Squadron Leader with No.4 SFTS under W/C Ling at the time.) After recovering from his wounds, he was detached for ‘special duties’ in August 1941 in the Balkans. The award of an Air Force Cross by the Greek Government that was notified in the London Gazette of December 29, 1942 gives no indication of what the ‘special duties’ might have entailed.

He served briefly as Officer Commanding of No.268 (FR) Squadron RAF at the time based at Snailwell flying Mustang Mk.I aircraft from 19 April 1943 until 20 June 1943. Given that Ling was a rather tall and solidly built person and his main pre-War RAF experience was on multi engined types, his time with 268 did not see him fly many operational sorties. Key to that was that the Mustang cockpit was just too cramped to accommodate him - his head was hard up against the top section of the framed canopy, even with the pilot's seat in the fully down position. After he left 268 he went for a short stint to a Staff position before eventually ending up in command of No.51 Squadron flying Halifaxes.

I suspect, the air to air victories noted in his DFC citation may have something to do with his time on "special duties" in the Balkans for which he had been awarded an AFC by the Greek Government. During his time with 268, he was rather "stumm" about what he got up to in the Balkans, but did talk a bit about his exploits in Iraq and his pre-War flying activities. By coincidence, the previous OC of 268 was the older brother of S/L (later AVM) Dudgeon who had served under him at Habbinaya.

He was an A/g Croup Captain by May 1945 and M-I-D in June 1945.

Regards,
No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-1946
Historian by Appointment
Old 29th August 2018, 11:47

BrianC is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for that Col, most interesting.

I was aware that he was a Sqn Ldr in early 1940, having led a flight of Hurricanes to Malta in June 1940.

I have written extensively about operations in the Balkans 1940/41, and have not come across his name. I would doubt that his victories were claimed then.

The mystery remains!

Cheers
Brian
Old 29th August 2018, 14:54
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Ah if you had said he was a Sqn Ldr in 1940 it would have saved me looking up the other Ling for you.