Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th February 2018, 12:09

JohanSWE is on a distinguished road
Accidents/Losses, British records

Hello!

Is there a similar British archive for aircrew and aircraft accidents/losses similar to MACR/Accident Reports, in UK?

If so, what to search for? is there name for them? ( MACR/Accident Reports, as example)
And where to obtain information of such aircrew and aircraft accidents/losses?

Regards
JohanSWE
Old 11th February 2018, 23:30
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Accidents/Losses, British records

Johan,

There are plenty of books in the UK such as Bomber Command and Fighter Command losses for the RAF 1939-45 (and beyond). So tell us what you want to know.
Old 12th February 2018, 00:28
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

You can check the files in AIR 81 in the British archives: these files cover cases when RAF personnel was killed/wounded/captured in operations or in air accidents, so the equivalent of both MACR/accident reports for USAAF.

See catalogue here http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...wse/r/h/C16484

You can also check the AVIA Civil Aviation Accident Report (http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...owse/r/h/C1428). Despite the Civilian in the title you can find RAF accident crashes in it.
Old 12th February 2018, 21:00

JohanSWE is on a distinguished road

Splendid, this was indeed the information i was looking for, i am grateful for the answer Laurent! Now i know where to begin.

I am looking for information, records, regarding No 159 Squadron in WWII, regarding their Liberators aircraft's and markings, losses, killed/captured personnel, Larry.

/Johan
Old 12th February 2018, 21:15

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

Hi Johan

You will probably have to go to Kew. There are 65 ORB's for No. 159 Squadron and instead of paying 3.5 pound for each you can download them free in Kew. That will pay for a cheap flight from Sweden to Heathrow. There are several good b&b's around Kew and you will find a LOT of information in the National Archive. Good luck with your hunt !
Old 12th February 2018, 23:12
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

You need to try a and get a copy of

The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service
By James D. Oughton
Air Britain
Old 13th February 2018, 04:39
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSWE View Post
Splendid, this was indeed the information i was looking for, i am grateful for the answer Laurent! Now i know where to begin.

I am looking for information, records, regarding No 159 Squadron in WWII, regarding their Liberators aircraft's and markings, losses, killed/captured personnel, Larry.

/Johan
If you're interested in 159 Sqn, no need to buy their ORB or go to Kew, it's available online on the website below:
http://www.rquirk.com/159oper/records159.html

You can check on the British National Archives website is there is an ORB Appendix file downloadable. There is usually one per squadron covering the whole war, so at least in term of time period covered it is well worth the 3.5 pounds it is worth (compared to the 7 pounds one month of Form 540+541 is charged most of the times). But the content of the appendixes can be very random. It may include accident reports or combat reports, or just statistic review and/or basic administrative documents. Still worth the try in my humble opinion.