Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th February 2006, 09:20

Flyinmick is on a distinguished road
Night fighter sound recordings

Hi,
I've just finished reading "The Other Battle" by Peter Hinchcliffe again and I was wondering if there are any surviving recordings of the radio transmissions between German (or British) fighter controllers and their nightfighters pilots. Or their day pilots, for that matter.
Also, can anyone tell me how to pronounce "Pauke, Pauke.", the call made by German NF pilots just before attacking a bomber.
Thanks
Old 28th February 2006, 12:35

JägerMarty
Re: Night fighter sound recordings

Would be interesting to hear recordings, Deutsche Wochenshau perhaps?

Pow-ke (the ke being short)

HTH
Old 1st March 2006, 07:41

Flyinmick is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, I don't speak or read German. I'd just really like to actually hear the transmissions between the pilots and controllers to get a feel for the atmosphere and tension that existed during this historic time. I'm sorry, but what does "Deutsche Wochenshau" mean?
Thank you,
Old 1st March 2006, 23:23

JägerMarty

Deutsche Wochenschau were the weekly German newsreals from WW2, they are available on the net I think. Some of them have great Luftwaffe footage of aces and flying etc.
I suspect before the night bombing became really bad that the Nightfighters featured quite well in them, say around early '43