Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th April 2009, 19:00
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Problems with established 2. and 3./StG77 insignia supposedly used during the WC of 1940?

Hello,

The insignias of 2 and 3 Staffel on Ju87Bs of I./StG77 have been published in the literature since the 1960s. However, finding confirming evidence in photos from the spring of 1940, when aircraft were clearly using Staffel insignias on their aircraft, has been difficult. For 1 Staffel, there is no problem, as the "lucky pig" design is well established in photos. However, 2 Staffel aircraft are supposed to carry a rearing elephant, but a/c apparently with that unit do not clearly show a design that shows the reported design. Shapes are just not right, although there is no question that the elephant design was used sometime in the unit's history. A similar problem exists with 3 Staffel aircraft. Does anyone have any certain photo images from the May-June, 1940 period, or earlier, that clearly show the reported images of the elephant and the bird on 2 and 3 Staffel aircraft?

Thanx,
Old 6th April 2009, 11:17

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Re: Problems with established 2. and 3./StG77 insignia supposedly used during the WC of 1940?

The only 2./StG. 77 elephant photo of is in the Airdoc book, sadly no codes but the emblem is undoubtably StG. 77:

Last edited by ChrisS; 30th December 2009 at 12:53.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:54
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Problems with established 2. and 3./StG77 insignia supposedly used during the WC of 1940?

This particular photo (or a copy) was sold on eBay yesterday.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:40
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Larry,
Check the Stuka photos you have from my collection. Nearly all of them are from Aretz and Elfner, who were with 3./St.G. 77 before 2./210. You may strike lucky there.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 6th April 2009, 18:23
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

John,

Thanks! I'll do that. Chris S. and Denes, thanks for your comments as well. We'll get this resolved. I've another photo showing the elephant, but the problem is that I have several of what I think are 2 Staffel Ju87Bs with rather indistinct squadron insignias that don't appear to have the correct shape for the elephant.

Regards,

Larry
Old 7th April 2009, 22:05

Hi Larry

This is a bit off your topic but still within the St.G 77 remit I have, firstly this image with what must be a St.G 77 emblem but do you know which Staffel or Gruppe it belongs?
Second image looks like 8./St.G 77 (bomb in a loop caped with a crown)but the 'loop' seems to have 'arms'.
Lastly third image doesn't resemble any St.G 77 emblem I am familiar with!

AFAIK and looking at camouflage all images taken pre-1940. I hope you or others can help.

Cheers

Chris

Old 7th April 2009, 22:21
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

first - 4./StG77
third - 1./StG77

Robert
Old 8th April 2009, 00:44

Thank you very much Robert I can see now that both emblems are reversed on the port side so that the head points forward! Simple when you think of it.

Now we need to solve the second! Here is a blow up of the emblem, it does look like 8./St.G 77 but for the 'arms'.

Sorry Larry in hijacking your thread.

Chris

Old 13th April 2009, 03:40

Paul Wicht is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the StG77 emblem picts Chris. Haven't seen some of those before.
Old 13th April 2009, 05:40
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

The arm on the right side of the figure eight is there, but the crown-like shape above is different from the crown depicted in Ketley & Rolfe. I cannot imagine what the slight mass going along the bottom of the 8 might be. This may be an "early" variant of the emblem.

Ed