Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th November 2010, 12:06

Andre Stewart is on a distinguished road
Signature

Hello all,

Can someone make out the attached signature?

Thanks

rgds
andre
Old 24th November 2010, 22:50
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Signature

Geeee Andre, without any additional info....??? Who's FB which unit?

J.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:14

Andre Stewart is on a distinguished road
Re: Signature - StKap 3./ZG26

Hello John,

Your point taken. This signature actually relates to the question of who was StKap of 3./ZG26 from July 1940, after Oblt Paul Förster transferred out.

The commonly held view is that Oblt Förster was succeeded by Oblt Hans-Jurgen Kirchhoff until KIA on 18 Aug 40, after which he was in turn replaced by Oblt Johannes Kiel. I am not sure if this is accurate, nor what sources mention Kirchhoff as StKap (e.g. in Kirchhoff's NVM he is not listed as StKap).

Coming back to the signature, it is from the last page of FB Lt Joachim Koepsell, who flew with 1./ and later 3./ZG26, POW 27 Sep 1940. His FB was closed and signed off by the St Kap of 3./ZG26 on 8 Oct 1940.

The rank of the signing officer is Hptm, and my own reading of it is "Schoen". If this is correct, it must refer to Hptm Gerhard Schoen, who transferred out from 3./ZG26 to one of the Zerst Schule on 28 Nov 1940.

It is known that Hptm Gerhard Schoen flew 21 missions while with 3./ZG26. Considering that he left in Nov 1940, this means he was probably combat active thru most of the BoB period. So although I have no documentary evidence prior to Oct 1940, nor a specific date of his posting into the Staffel, I believe Schoen is the "missing link" StKap for the period Aug - Nov 1940. And perhaps even the possible replacement of Förster from July 1940.

As this is a deviation from the common view, I was hoping to get some opinion on the reading of the signature 1st before posting my findings.

Here I've attached the last page of FB-Koepsell.

rgds
andre