Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th October 2005, 21:07
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
B-25 of 83rd BS, 12th BG lost on 6 October 1944

I'm searching this plane and I am trying to find its crew members.

Here is what I have:

12 B-25s from 83rd BS, 12th BG, had taken off at 0800 to bomb a bridge at Nyaungyan in the Mandalay area. At 0940 the formation lost height as it approached the target, but spotted Japanese fighters approaching from the direction of Meiktila. These were 64th Sentai Ki 43s wich had scrambled from that airfield. Captain Saburo Nakamura, the unit’s leading pilot with 20 claims for aircraft destroyed or damaged, dived into a head-on attack, followed by a second pilot, the US crews reporting that fire from Nakamura’s damaged the left wings of aircraft Nos 57 and 65, the latter being the formation leader. No 52 was then hit and the pilot, Lt D E Sheridan, was wounded in the arm and face, while Lt John R Couch’s No 63 in the second element of the formation was also hit during this initial attack.
At that point No 63 (B-25J-1-NC Mitchell 43-3964) was seen to have flames coming from the starboard engine and top turret, and it gradually lost height, apparently still under control. It then crashed into the ground, one or two parachutes being seen. Sgt Toshimi Ikezawa, the third pilot to take part in the initial head-on attack, saw Couch’s B-25 fall just as he passed by. The MACR 9096 describes the fate of his crew. Four members of the 83rd BS (1st Lt John R Couch, 2nd Lt Leslie W Hodge, 2nd Lt George L Mauldin and Sgt Earnest E Wilson) are commemorated on the Manila Memorial and shown as being missing since this day. They were probably the crew of this bomber.

Most of the above is copied from
"Air War for Burma", by Christopher Shores. ISBN 1-904010-95-4

A crew of four is possible for a B-25 but it may also have been 5 or 6. So if anybody knows of how many crew a B-25 J usually carried in 1944 over Burma, I would like to know it.

If anybody has the MACR 9096 I will be interested to have the crew list, and their recorded fate.
Old 11th October 2006, 14:49

Don.young9 is on a distinguished road
Re: B-25 of 83rd BS, 12th BG lost on 6 October 1944

Gunner/Bomberdier George L. Mauldin, Jr. was my father in law. Trying to find out more info for his grandchildren. Anyhow, his widow is still alive and living in Texas which was his home. She was contacted after the war by the two survivors of the attack and is thankful for any additional information that I can find. I have ordered the document that you refered to in your message and will get back to you when I receive it in a couple of months. I took pictures of the names in the cemetary in Manila a few years ago. The desecration of the cemetary on Corregidor by the Japs (?) is disturbing. Cemetary is pretty much not maintained.
Old 13th October 2006, 22:02
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: B-25 of 83rd BS, 12th BG lost on 6 October 1944

Hi Don,

I wasn't expecting a reply after one year, but I'm happy to have one. I will be interested by the MACR once you receive it. I will search what I can add from the Japanese point of view.

I sent you a private message with my e-mail. Please contact me directly.

Best regards

Laurent