Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd April 2012, 22:01
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Trying to locate photos/info for He111H of Stab KG53 that FL at Ste-Cécile near Laiche Belgium on May 12, 1940

Hello,

I'm certain that somewhere out there are photos of this a/c, but a search of the EoE photo DB does not turn up any good candidates for this one:

"May 12, 1940: Stabsstaffel KG53 Heinkel He111H. Believed shot down by S/Lt Boitelet, Sgt Delparte, and Sgt Tallent of GC I/5 following attack on Mourmelon and belly-landed on the north bank of the Semois at Ste-Cécile, near Laiche (Belgium), 7.00 a.m. BO Lt Wigbert Ocker and FF Uffz Hans-Joachim Rissel captured wounded, BM Uffz Hermann Limburg, BF Uffz Hans Fiedler, and BS Uffz Kurt Schrang believed captured unhurt. Aircraft fired by crew 100% write-off. This crew resisted capture for some time and opened fire on French troops who arrived to take them prisoner."

From the above info, the front part of the plane was apparently burned out, but there should have been substantial wreckage remaining after the fire. Does anyone have any photos or know of any further details of this incident. including the apparent gunfight involving the capture of the crew? There must be more story about this somewhere.

Regards,
Old 22nd April 2012, 23:35

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to locate photos/info for He111H of Stab KG53 that FL at Ste-Cécile near Laiche Belgium on May 12, 1940

Aircraft most likely attacked twice. First over Mourmelon by fighters of No. 501 Sqn (Betheniville). This machine was hit, and straggeling the other of the group with a stopped and smoking engine when attacked by Hawk H75 of GC I/5 (Suippes); S-Lt Boitelet, sgt Delparte, sgt Tallent. The a/c force landed on the north bank of the Semois, opposite the position of the 1st Hussars français at Laiche.

The rest of the story is also detailed in Batailles Aériennes et Rupture sur la Meuse by Sacré and Gillet (p.45) (I translate):
"The 5 aviators exit their plane and put it on fire close to Sainte-Cécile (which is near Lache) while being fired at by the French. They install a machine gun and fire at the patrols that try to approach them. Finally two airmen cross the river (Semois) to surrender themselves."

Regarding the a/c I have no confirmed pictures. The only unexplained wreck I have is the A1+HN claimed to be "in Belgium" and indeed burnt out, but that was likely another incident.

Regards, Pieter
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:03
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Trying to locate photos/info for He111H of Stab KG53 that FL at Ste-Cécile near Laiche Belgium on May 12, 1940

Pieter,

Thanx. That gives more of the story about what happened to this Gesch Stab a/c.

A1+HN is not "unexplained." I have three photos of it in the EoE photo DB, and our Luft Loss list carries it as: "May 10, 1940: 5./KG53 Heinkel He111H. Shot down by Hurricanes of No.87 Squadron following attack on Metz 12.05 p.m. and crashed near Hompré (Belgium), south of Bastogne. Possibly that claimed by P/O Saunders. BF Uffz Alfred Görtz captured unhurt, BO Fw Thomas Dietrich, FF Uffz Fritz Steinberg, BM Uffz Karl Beutel, and HS Gefr Otto Kielwein also captured unhurt - later released. Aircraft A1+HN fired by crew 100% write-off."

The photos show the rear part of FL a/c from both sides, burned out to mid-fuselage but with very clear a/c codes. If you have a photo of the starboard side with the swastica intact, I'd appreciate the opportunity to obtain a copy. Mine was eBay censored. The two shots from the port side show the complete swastica. Again, if anyone has any more information about this crash and the capture of the crew, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 23rd April 2012 at 07:43.
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:11

Pieter H is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

Thanks for linking the A1+HN to the Hompré crash, I hadn't made that connection yet.
And we probably have the same Ebay pictures, so I can't help you on that.

Regards, Pieter