Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th December 2007, 04:13

brianx13 is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Personnel Records

The six men listed below were in the air on June 26, 1943 over Villacoublay, France when the 384th BG (and others) were on a bombing run. Stratmann and Goltzsch were most probably the pilots that took down B-17 42-30031 (my grandfather's). All of 30031's crew survived; my grandfather and another went over the Pyrenees, one evaded in France, and the others were POW and were released later. What I would like to do is trace backwards from June 26 to when the men (from both sides of the air) began their careers. I have quite a bit of information on the USAAF side (even the 'birth' of the plane) but I have none on the Luftwaffe side. I do not wish to pry into veteran's lives in any way. I do hope to put together the timeline of these men's lives and how they ended up in the air that day and what became of them afterwards. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. And if others are interested in what the USAAF story side is I would be happy to forward along what I have.

1) Ofw. Willi Stratmann (12./JG 2)
2) Fw. Martin Brendel (1./JG 2)

3) Ltn. Fritz Karch (6./JG 2)
4) Ofw. Immerl (2./JG 105)
5) Ofw. Kurt Goltzsch (5./JG 2)
6) Ltn. Karl Wünsch: 3./JG 27

Thank you,
Brian