Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th October 2005, 15:54

Jon
Heinkel crew shot on beach during The Battle of Britain

On August 26th a Heinkel from 4/KG55 crash landed on a beach at East Wittering ( Page 599 Battle of Britain Then and Now ) i am sure this is the aircraft that is reputed to have been machinegunned after it had crashed.

One of the crew survived wounded and the others were all killed.

Did this happen or is it one of those stories that grow with time ??
Old 5th October 2005, 16:32
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Heinkel crew shot on beach during The Battle of Britain

Jon
Well, I would love to read some study about the problem. Judging by reception of some downed Polish airmen during the Battle, I would definetely not like to be a German at the time. Nonetheless, I recall about only two German lynched.
Old 5th October 2005, 19:51
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Although I have no firm evidence, having researched this crash many years ago, the story was that all but the pilot were killed; he stayed in the ac which, if the stories can be substantiated, was a sensible thing to do!
Old 5th October 2005, 20:04

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

While there are a (very) few documented instances of German crewmen being killed after landing in this country, this incident is one of the more persistent 'legends' of the Battle of Britain period. Four of the crew were killed in the air - though the aircraft was fired on by troops while landing. I published a full account in After The Battle magazine No.23 about 30 years ago.
Old 5th October 2005, 23:08

Jon

Hi
Thanks for all the responses.
I remember talking with an old chap in the North East years ago, he claimed a German Bomber had crashed on the beach during the war near Sunderland. One of the crew so he said was trapped in the aircraft and as the tide rose the desperate attempts by the British soldiers to free him were failing and he was going to drown. So this man said, the senior Luftwaffe crewman authorised for the crewman trapped to be shot rather than drown, he said he was shot him from behind point blank with a Lee Enfield for a quick death.

A horrible story but also a nice story if you see what i mean with honour being shown from both sides.

And Franek, i agree i think if i was a Pole in WW2 i would have learned very quickly to say it in English. Also i have tried several times to email over the Sgt Bann letters but failed every time. I think the good old post is the only option.
Old 6th October 2005, 01:40
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Jon
I recall a story by the late Czesław Tarkowski, who, downed by Germans, bailed out and landed on an old oak near some sort of castle or palace. Inhabitants, visibly very shaken and well armed with forks and shotguns, arrived, and apparently were very pleased to hear 'f***k off' with the best possible 'English' accent as a reply to their question: 'are you German'?
Similar story to yours concerned a JG26 pilot who was trapped in a burning cockpit. The aircraft was downed by 234 Sqn but I cannot recall the name at the moment.
Cheers
PS I will drop you an email within a few days.