Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 6th May 2011, 20:50

Julian is on a distinguished road
The Last Blitz- Operation Steinbock Book

This is the new book out by Ron Mackay , published by Redkite Books Fortunately my wife secured a copy for me which I got this evening. Has anyone else seen this?.....just the feel and smell indicates quality...but enough cosmetics Ive only had a 20 minute glance snuk in before promised household duties. ...arghhhh......(how can I refuse after shes bought me this.) This looks to be a superb book, lavishly illustrated with losses extending into Europe not just UK skies. Stunning images of my favourite aeroplane the Heinkel He 177 and and other classic squiggly patterned camouflage aircraft....Be interested to know what fellow forum users think....Ive written a few book reviews myself but will leave this for someone more qualified on the title subject.....all I would also add that one rarely uses the word "definitive" relating to a book, but surely this is pretty close to that classification. Any other publishers will surely have to pick and really go into refined detailed specifics regarding Steinbock now....for surely the most comprehensive book is now here......can it be bettered.....you tell me!!!! I believe the wife mentioned something about getting it at a discount for the first several hundred issues....I havent checked Redkitebooks website....but if this is so take advantage like she did....cant be bad. Regards Julian
Old 6th May 2011, 22:06

mars
Re: The Last Blitz- Operation Steinbock Book

You mean this book is finally out? It is still not available at amazon, did your wife get this book from publisher directrly?
Old 6th May 2011, 23:09
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Julian:

Your wife is a very wise, but Machiavellian lady!
Old 7th May 2011, 00:17
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Could it be bettered? I was reading the sample pages on Red Kite's site today and noticed:
  • "A distinctive and necessary seed-change" — I think they meant "sea-change"
  • "carring 500 pound bombs" — "carrying"
  • "Soesterburg" — "Soesterberg"
  • "only one of the five man aboard survived" — "men"
  • "masonary" — "masonry"
I know how hard it is to get everything right but if you're going to put up preview pages — excellent idea — it's as well not to have mistakes on them, I'd imagine.

(The information looks good though!)
Old 7th May 2011, 01:25

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

You lucky lucky b**tard!

According to Amazon UK the book won't be out until November this year.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Blitz-O...4720427&sr=1-1

You owe your wife BIG TIME matey!!

ASWWIAH Member
Old 7th May 2011, 04:31

Maximowitz is on a distinguished road

Christ, they've finally got this one out? How long's it been in the pipeline - 4 years? As Nick points out I hope they managed to find a decent proof reader - the spelling and grammatical errors are hilarious on the sample pages.

We're lucky it's not called "Operation Stinbock."
Old 7th May 2011, 11:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximowitz View Post
Christ, they've finally got this one out? How long's it been in the pipeline - 4 years? ... We're lucky it's not called "Operation Stinbock."
Or Operation Steinbeck, the secret Nazi plan to bombard London with copies of "The Grapes of Wrath."

It's been promised about as long as their book on the Amiens prison raid, I think. Another book that looks very promising.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:51

Julian is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. I too have now seen a few errors however they were sampler pages (which I agree should be correct) however these have been available apparently for some while so one assumes they are pre-proof read. Wife at work now, but confirms she obtained via Redkite website......Ha Ha she may think shes machiavellian...but truth is Ive subtely hinted I wanted this book for ages....so perhaps we are both representative of that Italian? Prince personality.
The Amiens book I was initially involved with in a very minor degree, but crikey this is a complicated and entangled topic and due to various new witnesses coming forward has some sections that have required total re drafting on at least 3 occasions. I did go to Amiens and had the pleasure of meeting the last living eye-witness to the Pickard Mossie and FW190 combat....what an honour. I also found pieces of Pickards Mossie at the impact point, and over the last few years and even more recently there have been some stunning metal detector finds from this site. Anyway I digress and hope that you all manage to get the Steinbock book shortly. Amiens book is coming out soon and from what I hear on the grapevine, no one will be disappointed.......question is have my hints been subtle enough from the good lady to know I want that book as well...ha ha all will be revealed....regards to everyone....Julian
Old 12th May 2011, 17:42

hucks216 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Could it be bettered? I was reading the sample pages on Red Kite's site today and noticed:
  • "A distinctive and necessary seed-change" — I think they meant "sea-change"
  • "carring 500 pound bombs" — "carrying"
  • "Soesterburg" — "Soesterberg"
  • "only one of the five man aboard survived" — "men"
  • "masonary" — "masonry"
I know how hard it is to get everything right but if you're going to put up preview pages — excellent idea — it's as well not to have mistakes on them, I'd imagine.
I received the book this afternoon and having just checked the above points I can confirm that Points 1, 2 & 5 have had the errors corrected while Points 3 & 4 remain. It does look like a very good book and has arrived just in time as I finished my last book just yesterday!