Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th March 2006, 06:42

FarKenal is on a distinguished road
luftwaffe losses by theatre per month

Hi all, after alot of searching I was still unable to find totals on how many luftwaffe fighter aircraft were shot down in each theatre per year (preferably month), and was hoping if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Basically a mate and I had been discussing the significance of american airpower in helping to destroy the luftwaffe, and how if there was no american aircraft how the transfer of luftwaffe fighter planes to the eastern front would of affected outcomes on the eastern front, though was defeat already certain etc.

any help with this elusive matter will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 28th March 2006, 13:53
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: luftwaffe losses by theatre per month

Hello
there are books from which You can find the answers, for ex. Williamson Murrey's but maybe this link helps http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/jg26/thtrlosses.htm

Juha
Old 28th March 2006, 16:59

marsyao

Was Luftwaffe loss records were incomplete after later 1944 ?
Old 28th March 2006, 22:52

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarKenal
Hi all, after alot of searching I was still unable to find totals on how many luftwaffe fighter aircraft were shot down in each theatre per year (preferably month), and was hoping if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Basically a mate and I had been discussing the significance of american airpower in helping to destroy the luftwaffe, and how if there was no american aircraft how the transfer of luftwaffe fighter planes to the eastern front would of affected outcomes on the eastern front, though was defeat already certain etc.

any help with this elusive matter will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Hi,
On this site http://www.ww2.dk/ you will find "Flugzeugbestand und Bewegungsmeldungen" listed unit by unit for each month. A lot of data and a bit messy, when you are done please share the result .
bregds
SES
Old 29th March 2006, 10:22
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

Regarding the question if Luftwaffe loss records are missing after 1944, the answer is yes and no...

Data to use for statistical analysis is available, the detailed loss information like Werknummern and aircraft types are harder to come by.

But to make something useful out of this is hard work.... and quite tedious.

I am just about to finish the work on the Luftwaffe fighter arm with regards to losses sustained in 1944, listed by unit, date and loss reason.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 29th March 2006, 14:16

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

There is a detailed statistical summary of missions, losses, etc. by theater which runs through, IIRC, 44 through February 45. I will see if I can find which drawer it is in.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
Old 29th March 2006, 17:08

kalender1973 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Brekken
Hi.
I am just about to finish the work on the Luftwaffe fighter arm with regards to losses sustained in 1944, listed by unit, date and loss reason.

Regards,
Andreas
Hi,

and where appeared your work ?

Best regards
Old 29th March 2006, 22:57

FarKenal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Hello
there are books from which You can find the answers, for ex. Williamson Murrey's but maybe this link helps http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/jg26/thtrlosses.htm

Juha
Yes, thanks for the sites, though the only question I have about this site, is there any possibility to determine a percentage of how many luftwaffe planes were destroyed by either the americans or british, ie. if 200 planes were lost on the western front in 3 months would you credit the USAAF with 50%, 66% etc, or would anything just be a wild guess.

Another thing I was trying to do was to see how many aircraft were lost in each theatre in total. And with this useful site I have can see the losses from Sep 1943 onwards, and from other sites I can see how many were lost in Poland and Norway, but for the Battle of Britain and losses straight after and up to Sep 1943, I get all these sites saying so many different loss totals, if anyone knows a fairly accurate site that'd be appreciated, and after which I'll share my findings with the rest of the board. Thanks

Last edited by FarKenal; 30th March 2006 at 07:22.
Old 30th March 2006, 19:58
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello FarKenal,
my advise is that You try to get Williamson Murray’s Luftwaffe, George Allen Unwin, Frome 1985. ISBN 0 04 923080 8. From it You will get most figures You needed.

I have not a slightest idea how many of the LW losses in ETO and MTO were inflicted by RAF and how many by USAAF and how many by French etc and how many were shot down by AA.

Different loss figures; maybe some have counted both damaged and destroyed a/c as losses (LW damage classification 10% and over) and some only those damaged 60% or over.

HTH
Juha