Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th November 2018, 15:45
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Flotille 1E/344 Sqn

On 17 Aug 43, 344 Sqn was credited with sinking U-403 off Dakar. However, records state that 344 Sqn was formed from Flotille 1E not until the end of Nov 43. Any suggestions?
Old 29th November 2018, 16:32
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Flotille 1E/344 Sqn

I think there were a series of reorganizations during 1943. This link (via Google Translate) says that the U-403 was sunk by a Wellington from the "new" 2FB flotilla in August.

http://ardhan.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/almanac43.htm
Old 29th November 2018, 16:55
Alter Hase

Thanks-most interesting & useful. I have puzzled as to how a French Naval unit becomes an RAF unit and there is no mention in this article.
Old 29th November 2018, 18:23

twocee is on a distinguished road

In his RAF Squadrons book Jim Halley states that the French units at Dakar came under RAF operational control from 29 November 1943 until 27 November 1945. During this period they were given the squadron numbers 343(Sunderlands) and 344 (Wellingtons), forming part of 495 Wing---West Africa ASW.
Old 29th November 2018, 19:07
Alter Hase

Thanks George this confirms what I had discovered so what I am seeking pre-dates this
Old 30th November 2018, 12:03
Alter Hase

After a bit of digging by Andy Thomas and myself, the sinking was 18 Aug 43 by Premiere Maitre Chevanton of the recently formed 2 Flottille de Bombardement based at Dakar. This was a naval unit so why would it become an RAF unit........................?
Old 30th November 2018, 13:13
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

It was usual for French units coming under RAF control to take RAF squadron numbers, and using it in British documents, while keeping their own French codes and still using them in the French documents.

GC II/7 "became" 326 Sqn and GC I/3 "became" 327 Sqn in December 1943. Before that they flew in North Africa and Corsica without RAF codes. But seen from the French documents, there was no change.

Both French squadrons in Bomber Command (346 and 347) were two existing french bombers units that received these numbers while moving from North Africa to England, and converting to Halifaxes.

Even the French squadrons formed in England, like 340 Sqn in November 1941, received French codes (GC IV/2 for 340 Sqn).

As for your precise example, in French forces the equivalent of the RAF Coastal Command was under control of the Navy air force (the "Aéronautique Navale") that had a very small carrier-based part and was mostly based on the ground or used seaplanes. So a French unit flying anti-U-boat patrols from Africa will be a French Navy one, but will come under operational control of the RAF, not of the Fleet Air Arm.
Old 30th November 2018, 13:29
Alter Hase

Found this French webpage giving some more details:
http://www.postedeschoufs.com/aerona...nstitution.htm

To sum it up, the "2eme Flottille de Bombardement" received the 344 Sqn RAF number when it was integrated into 295 Wing RAF.

Please also note that contrary to what was done in the RAF, in 1943 the Aéronavale crews were not under command of the pilot, there was an aircraft commander (in this case the EV1 Bigo) that could be a trained pilot or an observer. I don't know what position had the EV1 Bigo, but the link above cites two pilots for the Wellington, PM Chevanton et Mtre Chabaud, so even if Bigo had a pilot licence he was probably not flying the aircraft.
Old 30th November 2018, 14:01
Alter Hase

Laurent: Most helpful and useful
Old 30th November 2018, 14:40
Alter Hase

You're welcome. By the way your post gives me idea to check if the same "double number" system applies for US too. I can't find anything for the French Armée de l'Air, but an Aéronavale unit, the 6eme Flotille d'Exploration, was called by the American controlling it VFP-1 (French Patrol Squadron 1). It was then "renamed" VFPB-1 (French Patrol Bombing Squadron 1) at the same time as USN squadrons were renamed with an added B.

I could find its war diary from April to November 1944 on fold3. Or at least an English version of its war diary, that is possibly shorter than the French version. Two fatal crashes occured during the period (in June and July) and the diaries on fold3 give the number of casualties, but not their names.

The Americans also called VFP-2 the 8eme Flotille d'Exploration, another PBY French unit, and VFB-1 and VFB-2 (French Bombing Squadron) the 3eme and 4eme Flotilles de Bombardment, that reequiped in 1944 with SBD Dauntless.
War diaries of VBF-1 is available on fold3 for September and October 1944. On the first page of the reports, the unit is designed as "French Third Bombing Squadron, VFB-1", so mixing both French and US numbers.