Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th January 2008, 06:33

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road
Smile 857 Squadron - Grumman Avenger - JZ 558 Question???

Hello Everyone!!!

I was wondering if I could beg the help of a WWII Fleet Air Arm Expert.
Your efforts would help make a project come true for a FAA - 857 SQDN Avenger pilot by the name of Peter Thompson.

Peter Thompson has been a resident here in South Minneapolis for several years. He is in his late 80s now and cares for his very ill wife. He is a wonderful chap and has been quite distracted of late caring for his wife.

I am looking for information on an 857 Sqdn. Grumman Avenger that Peter flew in 1945. The serial number was - JZ 558. The code markings on her were P1 - Roundel - ? She was flown many times by Peter during his tenure with 857 Squadron.

I was looking for the individual aircraft code letter for JZ 558. She was lost January 24, 1945.

Would anyone by chance have a reference for the code letter?

A friend of mine wants to paint a profile painting of the airplane for Peter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...you would really be helping out a fine man and terrific WWII veteran!!

Mark Copeland
Old 28th January 2008, 15:49
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: 857 Squadron - Grumman Avenger - JZ 558 Question???

Hello Mark,

You may be confused

"P1" was the Squadron code for No 849 Squadron.

"W1" was the Squadron code for No 857 Squadron.

But if Peter has said that the code was "P1" then Roundel it could well be that the aircraft was on loan to 849 Squadron but still being used by 857 Squadron personel.
Then again it could just be that Peter recalls it so and that the side code was "W1" Roundel "P".

How did the Birthday go ?

Alex