Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th July 2009, 17:32

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road
Significance of Stab assignment for pilot

A question for our Luftwaffe experts...

For a Luftwaffe pilot of junior rank in 1943 was there any significance to being assigned to an aircraft in the Stab of a KG Gruppe -- as opposed to one of the Staffeln? I assume that the commanding officer would be assigned to the Gruppe Stab but were the other (two I guess) pilots of other aircraft in the Stab chosen at random? Would an otherwise normal pilot in a Stab (i.e., not the commanding officer) have more insight into Gruppe or KG operations than any other pilot?

Thanks

MB