Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th October 2009, 22:27

Testerchild is on a distinguished road
Sideshow Stars

Hi,

This my first post here, so I hope I'm putting this in right place.

Two stars from Haken's Aviation page and associated Biplane pages (brilliant place if you've not been there yet), are:

1. Fl/Lt. A B Mitchell, 430 Flight, who claimed a Caproni CaA133 over Metemma Airfield (Sudan, or thereabouts?) on 07.09.40 while flying K5355 - a Gloster Gauntlet of all things!

2. Lt. Blake, 1 Sqn SAAF, who got a Caproni Ca 133 on 03.08.40 flying Hawker FURY (ye Gods!) '203'. He was based at Wajir in Kenya.

I want to build models of both the the Gauntlet and the Fury involved. So it's question time:

Does anyone know whether either aircraft carried squadron codes or other distinguishing marks, and if so what were they?

The Gauntlet might have carried 47 Sqn markings (KU?), as 430 Flight was formed from a nucleus of 'D' Flight 47 Sqn. But is that fact or surmise, and would it have carried a third letter?

As to 1 sqn SAAF, I've no ideas as to markings. Was the '203' on the Fury a serial number in the usual place, or a larger identification number on the fuselage behind the roundal, or even on the wings? What colour were the numbers?

Any help really, really appreciated.

Bob
Old 11th October 2009, 17:49
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Sideshow Stars

Bob,

There's a drawing of a SAAF Fury with serial 217 on this link: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...=3946&page=106

Perhaps this gives you an idea?

Regards,

Leendert
Old 11th October 2009, 18:00
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Sideshow Stars

Bob,

More of the Gauntlet here? See http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/re..._bulldog.shtml

Author Alex Crawford may very well be the distinguished senior member on this website!

Regards,

Leendert
Old 12th October 2009, 02:04

Testerchild is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Sideshow Stars

Leendert,

Many thanks for your help. The pic of Fury '217' is very helpful, and I'll find me a copy of the Gauntlet/Bulldog book somewhere.

The sites are also new to me, as I've mainly been into WW1 aviation until recently, so I'll be spending some time exploring them.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Bob