Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th April 2020, 18:08
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Airwar research Jülich-Linnich-Titz-Aldenhoven area.

Dear all,

On behalf of one of my German contacts, Robert Classen, I herewith post a call for help for his research:

Robert works as a volunteer at the Zitadelle Jülich (Rhineland) Museum, and is currently writing a small publication on the air war in 1939-45 in the Jülich / Linnich / Titz / Aldenhoven area.

He is looking for any info on Allied crashes/photos etc in this region, and in particular on the following aircraft (I have already supplied him with my info on these crashes that I published in the NCA series:

-7 Squadron Lancaster JA710, 30-31.8.43, crash site Müntz near Linnich.
-115 Squadron Lancaster DS 728, 20-21.4.44, crash site Merscher Höhe near Jülich).

Grateful for any help,

Theo
Old 20th April 2020, 18:47

Horst Weber
Re: Airwar research Jülich-Linnich-Titz-Aldenhoven area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear all,

On behalf of one of my German contacts, Robert Classen, I herewith post a call for help for his research:

Robert works as a volunteer at the Zitadelle Jülich (Rhineland) Museum, and is currently writing a small publication on the air war in 1939-45 in the Jülich / Linnich / Titz / Aldenhoven area.

He is looking for any info on Allied crashes/photos etc in this region, and in particular on the following aircraft (I have already supplied him with my info on these crashes that I published in the NCA series:

-7 Squadron Lancaster JA710, 30-31.8.43, crash site Müntz near Linnich.
-115 Squadron Lancaster DS 728, 20-21.4.44, crash site Merscher Höhe near Jülich).

Grateful for any help,

Theo
Good evening Theo !

No. 7 Sq. Lancaster JA710 had no casualties and all crew-members went POW.
No. 115 Sq. Lancaster DS728 had two fatal sasualties, the two air-gunners Sgt. J. Casey and Sgt. J. J. Duncan (RCAF) and both were buried at the Jülich Military cemetary. Both were reburied to Rheinberg in 1947. This is well documented in the Commonwealth War Grave Commission files.

There must have been in the area a B-17 crash on February 22nd, 1944 in the area Gartzweiler - Linnich.

Best wishes !

Bleibt gesund !

Horst Weber
Old 21st April 2020, 17:33
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Thanks Horst -I will pass the info to my contact.

Beste Grüsse aus Groningen, Theo
Old 21st April 2020, 19:30
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hello Theo,

on 22 Feb 1944 the B-17 F-30-BO 42-5052 was lost at 15.45 hrs near Garzweiler district Grevenbroich, German casualty no. KU 929.
Five of the ten crew members were KIA. According to the Namentliche Verlustmeldung AV 608/44 on 24 Feb 1944 four were buried at the cemetery Mönchen-Gladbach, the navigator was buried at the cemetery Otzenrath.

Regards
Leo
Old 21st April 2020, 21:20
Alter Hase

Thanks Leo for these details, which I will pass on to Robert Classen.

Cheers, Theo
Old 24th April 2020, 20:12

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A 109 was recovered a few years back just outside Aldenhoven by a group from Giessen. The wreckage was found by Braunkohle Tagesbau personnel when they dug another well site. If he wants to contact me, I can PM you my phone number. I live 20 mins from Juelich. Danny