Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th December 2017, 22:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe Designation for Russian Aircraft as 'J-18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O. View Post
Hi Nick

For what it is worth, my experience is also that a number of spellings in Flugbuche reflect German phonetics, particularly Russian place names, which can almost magically appear if we replace J with Y and Z with TS, etc.
Nor could they reliably spell French or Italian place names or the names of their own people! Human fallibility at work.
Old 12th December 2017, 02:19
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmussen View Post
This hasn't to do how sounds things in German --- J is the handwritten form of the letter I (and the printed J) and I is the printed form of the letter I.
How do you explain this then:

Source: Bf 110 D-0/B, S9+CK, of 2./Erprobungsgruppe 210. Shot down on 15th August 1940 at Hawkhurst, Kent, England. Later shipped to the USA in April 1941.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 12th December 2017, 15:33

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
How do you explain this then:

Source: Bf 110 D-0/B, S9+CK, of 2./Erprobungsgruppe 210. Shot down on 15th August 1940 at Hawkhurst, Kent, England. Later shipped to the USA in April 1941.
There are a lot of possibilities --- the correct stencil wasn't by the hand or used by others, an unskilled worker with problems in spelling (such peoples in Germany too), not enough time/ stress (but him was known that everbody understood the word because the handwritten I and the printed J have/had the same form) or... or... or... but this hasn't to do how sounds things in Germany.
Old 13th December 2017, 18:15
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmussen View Post
There are a lot of possibilities --- the correct stencil wasn't by the hand or used by others, an unskilled worker with problems in spelling (such peoples in Germany too), not enough time/ stress (but him was known that everbody understood the word because the handwritten I and the printed J have/had the same form) or... or... or... but this hasn't to do how sounds things in Germany.

You don't answer my question.

This is what you wrote: "...J is the handwritten form of the letter I (and the printed J) and I is the printed form of the letter I..."

I've shown it was not only handwritten...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 13th December 2017, 20:32

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Excuse me but I answered your question ... maybe my English is limited or stupid.

Have a look on this: Attachment 15932
How you see the handwritten I looks like the printed J (depending from handwriting and/or print).

The usual form of an "printed I" was an printed I Attachment 15934.

Of course in your example was used an printed J instead of an printed I and you asked me for an explanation and this question I answered:

"There are a lot of possibilities --- the correct stencil wasn't by the hand or used by others, an unskilled worker with problems in spelling (such peoples in Germany too), not enough time/ stress (but him was known that everbody understood the word because the handwritten I and the printed J have/had the same form) or... or... or..." ... or how we say in Germany: "Ausnahmen bestätigen die Regel." ("Exceptions confirm the rule.")

But I believe this is an academic discussion and not part of an aircraft/airwar forum. So I believe it's more useless...
Old 16th December 2017, 17:05

RolandF is on a distinguished road

Rasmussen gives the correct explanation concerning hand-written scripts. But the confusion originates also in the difference Fraktur (=Schwabacher) Schrift and Antiqua (=Norm) Schrift:

http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/Lese...e/Fraktur1.htm

The change was made in 1941 (Bormann-Erlaß). So WW2 saw Gemans having grown up with Sütterlin and Fraktur, but had to use Normschrift and Antiqua. You have to take into consideration this fact when reading ANY German writing - both printed and hand-written - when reading German scripts of that time. The result were mixtures between the four of them. A living example for me is my 90-yo father...

Regards
RolandF
Old 16th December 2017, 21:54
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Flugzeugtafel 1944 Original wartime production.

Last edited by Snautzer; 13th January 2018 at 18:06.
Old 17th December 2017, 02:49

Tim O. is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 17th December 2017, 03:20

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Sorry I didn't pick up that you were interested in 10./ not 12./- a doh! moment for me!
Regarding your request for information for Gaul and Mueller, have you seen the info in the officer career summaries at ww2.dk?
Peter
Old 17th December 2017, 13:00

Tim O. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Sorry I didn't pick up that you were interested in 10./ not 12./- a doh! moment for me!
Regarding your request for information for Gaul and Mueller, have you seen the info in the officer career summaries at ww2.dk?
Peter
Hi Peter

I think I provided most of the information to ww2.dk on Gaul and Mueller but thanks for the pointer anyway.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122