Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th November 2020, 00:03

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road
Re: old unanswered questions

Hi - Thanks to all contributor's - I too looked at this when it first came about with the Hart Profile drawing. It seems to portray a possible reasonable assumption that one was discovered at Merville at the end of the French collapse. But is it? Surely not an RAF aircraft as the chances of an intact example left in France is highly unlikely. I had hoped that a photo would emerge over time but alas none so far. This does not mean that it did not exist but it does diminish the chances that it comes from a real source - whether oral or photographic. I have even thought that it may have been mistaken for a Begian Fairey fox. But again no photo or other source has yet surfaced. My personal view is that it is a nice but fanciful idea that was made flesh with a moderate drawing.
Old 18th November 2020, 00:06
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
The first picture has straight top longerons across the rear cockpit area so is a Hart or similar rather than a Demon, Hind, etc with a lowered gunner's position.
Graham

First photo is a Fairey Firefly.
Check the nose configuration, the exhaust pipes, landing gear and the black round circular "intake" or what-ever-it-is. You will not find that on any Hawker aircraft. Aircraft also looks very much a single-seater.

Thanks Alex

I thought it looked a bit familliar. Chris Thornburg did a couple of items in the now gone Small Air Forces Observer, but it is ages ago since I heard from him.
In this case he is mistaken though

Cheers
Stig
Old 18th November 2020, 08:38

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road

Hello Guys,

I will agree with Stig that list of captured VVKJ a/c by RA provided by Alex is, let's say, partially incorrect and partially incomplete.

Regarding claims about Harts in Yugoslav service I will only mention that old British publications claimed more than once that Yugoslavs bought six Furies Mk.I. Actually, only three were purchased.

If I remember correctly original list of captured Yugoslav a/c by Italians can be found in Statto Magiore Aeronautica in Rome.

My dear friend Giancarlo Garello published Prede di Guerra some years ago. Some very nice stuff there regarding captured Yugoslav machines.

Regards to All
Aleks

PS Alex check your PM
Old 18th November 2020, 10:10
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Thanks Stig. I must admit I had blinkers on as I was only trying to distinguish it from a Demon, rather than looking more closely. I apologise for missing your earlier identification.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:25
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
Thanks Stig. I must admit I had blinkers on as I was only trying to distinguish it from a Demon, rather than looking more closely. I apologise for missing your earlier identification.
No worries Graham

I have made worse mistakes myself. Unfortunately there are most certainly some more waiting for me in the future as well....

Cheers
Stig
Old 18th November 2020, 14:48
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Aleks, thanks for the PM.
Old 19th November 2020, 14:26

Kaiyan

Hi, Further to my previous post #6, amidst all the other pics that turned up was several showing various Hawker products all claiming to be Hart's, in this case Furies from Yugoslav air-force and since mention of them has been made I felt a pic showing them Captured by the Italians might be useful, I should point out there is no photograph evidence here that they were captured, I however am certain they were.
With regard to the Hart in German markings I agree with Tom it is most unlikely to have happened, Harts were in service in the mid east and elsewhere, by 1940 were relegated to the Communications role and by 1944 had been declared obsolete along with Demons etc..
Eastern Europe had a wild assortment of Hawker, DH and Fairy products most of which ended up along with Gladiators / Seals etc carrying the Red star.
regards

Last edited by Kaiyan; 19th November 2020 at 15:03.