Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 10th February 2017, 05:19

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Foo Fighters

Did Luftwaffe pilots ever report seeing Foo fighters?

Bronc
Old 10th February 2017, 08:51
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Foo Fighters

The American rock band formed in Seattle in 1994? I suggest you explain what you mean & are asking?
Old 10th February 2017, 12:12
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Wikipedia claims these 'balls of fire' which followed aircraft were also reported by B-29 crews in the Pacific and by German and Japanese pilots . I do not know if there are any surviving reports from the Axis side but there are apparently USAAF reports and US press reports . There was also a Sci-Fi TV series a few years back which opened with a B-17 incident with Foo fighters & alien abduction which may have clouded the issue.
Old 10th February 2017, 14:25
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Not quite an answer, but ...........

Many years ago I had a friend who was an ex RAF Halifax rear gunner, Jim. He told me of two strange incidents.

(a) On approaching base on returning from a night sortie when the crews had experienced much AA fire and night fighter attacks, Jim's aircraft closed in on another in which his friend, also an air gunner, was flying. They exchanged waves on recognition. However, when Jim's aircraft landed, the other did not. It transpired that the other Halifax had been shot down over the target area.

(b) More to the point. On another occasion, Jim's aircraft was followed by a bright light, at a distance, back to base. Having landed, been debriefed, breakfasted etc, Jim turned in. A smaller version of the bright light reappeared in his quarters. Others apparently didn't, or couldn't, see it.

I would imagine both phenomenon were the result of operational fatigue.

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 10th February 2017 at 16:08.
Old 10th February 2017, 18:15
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Foo Fighters

I think I would go with Chris' explanation.
Old 10th February 2017, 18:50
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

This subject is verboten. I have a copy of a photo taken over Japan during the war and released by the Associated Press, showing a glowing light approaching an American bomber formation. As in Europe, the behavior of these lights was similar. The New York Times ran an article in December 1944 concerning what they called a "new Nazi air weapon." I have read the article but no mention of what it could do was included. One post-war report mentions interference with onboard radar.

Ed
Old 10th February 2017, 19:05
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Ball lightning?
Old 10th February 2017, 20:12
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Nick.

Believe it or not, I've read quite a bit about ball lightning. The December 1945 issue of The American Legion Magazine ran an article confirming what the pilots, and other crew, saw. And all the same thoughts and concerns ran through their minds. Some were reluctant to report what they saw for fear of being written up for "fatigue" of some sort, and they talked among themselves, agreeing they had seen something unusual. Unnamed experts offered the following: ball lightning, possible reflections and "fatigue." Even weather balloons. The pilots dismissed all the explanations out of hand because they were already familiar with the above. From the magazine:

"The foo-fighters simply disappeared when Allied ground forces captured the area East of the Rhine. This was known to be the location of many German experimental stations. Since V-E day our Intelligence officers have put many such installations under guard. From them we hope to get valuable research information – including the solution to the foo-fighter mystery, but it has not appeared yet. It may be successfully hidden for years to come, possibly forever."

Ed
Old 10th February 2017, 20:36
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

Air and Space Article:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-o...ers-180959847/

And this series:
http://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/h...iipartone.html

http://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/h...iiparttwo.html

http://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/h...partthree.html
Old 11th February 2017, 01:48