Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st March 2019, 19:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Black Cross - Red Star. Air War over the Eastern Front, Vol. 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943.

Expected sometime in May or June.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...ducts_id=10427

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 21st March 2019, 22:50
Alter Hase

rickback4444 is on a distinguished road
Re: Black Cross - Red Star. Air War over the Eastern Front, Vol. 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943.

Fantastic news - I think this compendium of books is excellent and hand tout down.

Rick
Old 22nd March 2019, 00:30

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Black Cross - Red Star. Air War over the Eastern Front, Vol. 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943.

For years it's been rumoured that Christer would restart the BCRS series. Great to see Vol.4 become a reality.

Will have to pull out Vol's1,2 & 3 again, and re-read them before Vol. 4

ASWWIAH Member
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:35

Edward is on a distinguished road

Christer Bergström's new publisher for the Black Cross Red Star series is Vaktel Förlag of Sweden. Publication date for volume 4 has been pushed back a couple of times and I really hope to see this by May / June 2019.

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/blac...ban-1942-1943/

They also have a fb page.

Bergström states that once Vol. 4 is out Vaktel Förlag will next publish "heavily updated" editions of volumes 1, 2 & 3.

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/bc-rs/
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:49
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what kind of publisher Vaktel Förlag is as there seems to be two very agenda-driven book listed on its page...
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:20

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Hello!

Vaktel is "nevahööd" indeed.

But they have published Juri Rybin's book about Safonov!
I did know nothing about such.

I take that it has not been published in English? Not that there is something wrong with Swedish. I shoudl dust that language skill anyway.

Cheers,
Kari
Old 22nd March 2019, 23:00
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Christer B. seems to have a history of bouncing from publisher to publisher and I have never understood why. His books are well-done, full of never seen before or rare photos, cover a subject that has been almost completely neglected in languages other than Russian and based primarily on Russian and German archive documents. They are a valuable contribution to the subject and it puzzles me why his sales volume hasn't been strong enough to keep at least one publisher happy enough to keep on producing them.

L.
Old 22nd March 2019, 23:28
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Larry,

I've been in book publishing for 37 years. Traditional advertising outlets have dried up and one of my current research jobs is to identify websites to promote the books my company produces. As far as Luftwaffe related subjects, I'll assume for the moment that this has not been done in a comprehensive way. Yes, word of mouth is the best advertising but actually announcing new titles as done here is not always consistent. And some books - not this series - have outlandish or incomprehensible titles which might be known only to a small number of enthusiasts. I recommend the publisher contact Stone & Stone http://stonebooks.com/ and announce their new, upcoming release, and alert them to the fact that the first three volumes will see substantial revisions.

Also, there are Luftwaffe sites on facebook. Perhaps FalkeEins could mention the new book also http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/
Old 23rd March 2019, 00:23
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Ed. I am familiar with Stone & Stone - they have reviews there of my 4 books and my author profile as well as the same for my co-author, Doug Stankey. It's a great place for details on WWII books.

L.
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:16

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post

Also, there are Luftwaffe sites on facebook. Perhaps FalkeEins could mention the new book also http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the suggestion Ed..I met up with Christer when he came to my town a couple of years ago - a most genial and engaging character. A propos of Larry's question in post #7, this will be his 29th book I believe. A four-volume 'Barbarossa' series (essentially BC/RS re-done) was published by Ian Allan/Classic/Midland