Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th May 2010, 16:39

Whitfield62 is on a distinguished road
W/O Harry Mounsey (AG)

Trying to find to find some information on my great uncle Harry Mounsey. He was from Co.Durham, I have no idea which squadron he was in. He was on Lancs. He survived the war and left service as a W/O.
Old 20th May 2010, 05:25

BlenheimBuff is on a distinguished road
Re: W/O Harry Mounsey (AG)

Hello,

There is a Sgt Mounsey flying as a mid gunner on a 10 sqn Halifax in 1942. He is listed as having flown 2 consecutive ops to attack the Tirpitz on the 27th and 28th April of that year (returning safely on both occasions), flying in Halifax W1038 ZA-O from 10 sqn's base at Lossiemouth.

Could be your relative, hard to say without having more information to work on.

Regards,

Ian
Old 20th May 2010, 15:36

Tony Kearns

Hi,
Air 27 141 10 Sqn Leeming ORB
There is a Sgt Mounsey listed as W/T.
On 1-10-1940 Whitley N1483 landed in the sea off Waterford having crossed the Irish Sea in error when and lost returning from a bombing raid to Berlin. They were picked up by a trawler and landed at Holyhead later that night. HTH
Tony K
Old 20th May 2010, 16:45

Icare9 is on a distinguished road

I think it was a Sgt E R Mounsey aboard N1483.

As he survived, he's not the HGP Mounsey part of a Stirling crew, but you should be able to obtain his Service Record:-
All service records of the officers and men of the Royal Air Force are maintained and stored by the Ministry of Defence. Copies of records are available only to relatives. Contact:
PMA (CS)2a(2) (RAF) RAF Disclosures
Room 221V, Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford, Lincolnshire
NG34 8HB
England
Phone: 01400-268161
Old 21st May 2010, 14:34

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo 'Whitfield 62',
I too have an interest in a 'Sgt. Mounsey', who was also a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner. Was your uncle's name "Harry" a family or pet name, or his actual birth name ?
'My' Sgt. Mounsey is, I believe, Ernest Reginald Mounsey. My interest in this man is because - as Tony has written - he was one of the crew of an Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley twin-engined bomber N1483 'ZA-I' of 10 Squadron that force-landed in the sea off County Waterford, Ireland during the early hours of 1 October 1940. The crew had been on a mission to bomb Berlin and had overflown the UK during the return flight. They were rescued by a trawler, fortunately only suffering from shock. My main area of research are the stories of the Allied and German airmen whose aircraft crashed or force-landed in or off neutral Ireland during WW2.
He is only described in the Operational Record Book (daily war diary) of 10 Squadron for this incident as 'Sgt. Mounsey'. However thanks to good work by Dennis Burke and the 10 Squadron Association historian Douglas Evans we were able to establish he was Ernest Reginald, whose service number was 641115. Ian's information was new to me, indicating he was on his second tour of operations, still with 10 Squadron but now flying the newer four-engined Handley-Page Halifax heavy bomber.
His service number allowed us to search the London Gazette website where we learnt that he had been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross as a Warrant Officer on 30 June 1944. It is noted he was with 626 Squadron at this time, presumably his third tour of operations. Quite an achievement. 626 Squadron only flew Avro Lancasters during its existance.
Other London Gazette entries record that he was commissioned as a Pilot Officer, back dated to 1 April 1944. He received a new service number ( 54688 ) as an officer. He was promoted to the higher rank of Flying Officer with effect from 1 October 1944. Next to Flight Lieutenant (war substantive) with effect from 1 April 1946 and finally to Flight Lieutenant (substantive) on 1 October 1947. This last promotion has his surname spelt incorrectly but indicates, if I interpret it correctly, that he stayed on in the regular Royal Air Force postwar.
Do you have any information (including family lore) or documentation which supports any of the above ? In spite of the name 'Harry' I find it hard to imagine it is not the same man. There appear to have been very few Mounseys in RAF Bomber Command. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Martin Gleeson.
Old 21st May 2010, 22:38

Whitfield62 is on a distinguished road

His name was Harold "Harry" Mounsey. I am trying to contact his son at the moment.