Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 4th April 2019, 23:40

Edward is on a distinguished road
Re: Black Cross - Red Star. Air War over the Eastern Front, Vol. 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943.

Why are U.S. readers being sold a "lesser" edition?

Posted at the bottom of the page on vol. IV at the Vaktel Förlag website.

"Large format, heavily illustrated, (aircraft color profiles in the British edition) !"

Note:
The British edition of Vol. 4 is hard cover and contains colour profiles. ISBN 978-91-88441-21-8.
The British edition of Vol. 4 will be published in May 2019.

The U.S. edition of Vol. 4 is paperback and entirely b&w (except for the cover). ISBN 978-91-88441-50-8.
The U.S. edition of Vol. 4 will be published in April 2019."

I will certainly be waiting until May to buy the British hardback edition.

Last edited by Edward; 5th April 2019 at 00:49.
Old 5th April 2019, 19:55

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road
Re: Black Cross - Red Star. Air War over the Eastern Front, Vol. 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943.

Yes, there is a European edition which is hard cover and with color profiles of aircraft, and a U.S. edition which is soft cover without any color profiles. There is no other option. Allow me to explain:

That is entirely because in order to have a book distributor in the United States who accepts books that are sent from a printer, one must have a warehouse in the United States. That is the rule. Living in Europe, that is unfortunately not possible for me. So the only possibility for me to have the book published in the United States is to have it a print on demand book via Ingram Spark. (No U.S. book stores would order a book from Europe.) Ingram Spark does not do hardcover copies, only softcover. It goes without saying that printing a single POD book is much more expensive than the printing price for a single book in an edition of several thousand. Even a soft cover book by Ingram Spark with color profiles would cost US $ 75.00. I think that everyone will agree that rather than to buy a softcover book with color profiles, anyone would instead order a hardcover book with color profiles from Europe, particularly since that one is less expensive, even with the postage included.

So for those who would like to buy their copy via a book store in the United States, there is the U.S. softcover edition (ISBN 978-91-88441-50-8).

For those who would like to have the European hard cover and partly color edition (ISBN 978-91-88441-21-8), they can order it via Amazon or directly from me. The postage and packing is US $18.00 if they are ordered directly from me. You can do so at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4 will be published in May/June 2019.

All the best,

Christer Bergström

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/blac...ban-1942-1943/

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 5th April 2019, 20:02

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road

Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4 covers the air war along the entire Eastern Front during the period winter 1942/1943 through the spring of 1943, in great detail, with a balance between German and Soviet archive sources etc, and with many first-hand accounts. It will be of the same size as the other volumes, and it will also contain aircraft color profiles.

Following the publication of Volume 4, new and heavily updated editions of volumes 1, 2 and 3 will follow, and next the subsequent volumes (vols. 5 etc.) will follow.

Large format, heavily illustrated, aircraft color profiles!

Anyone interested in a sample from the manuscript can e-mail me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Vaktel förlag is a publishing house that I have founded. Finally, I have full control of what I publish. It took some time to get the rights reverted back to me. From now on, you will see the valoumes in this series getting regularly published - I plan for one each year, starting with Vol. 4 in May/June this year, followed by a very, very much updated edition of Vol. 1 (hard cover and color profiles in the European edition, soft cobver in the U.S. edition because there is no other option) before the end of this year.

For anyone who would like to support the publishing by a crowd funding, please contact me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

All the best,

Christer Bergström

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 31st May 2019, 14:41

Black Cross Red Star – Air War Over the Eastern Front : Volume 4, Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943Christer Bergström
"Will be published in May 2019!"

Does anyone have an update on the publication of volume 4?

Eager to see this one.
Old 31st May 2019, 19:34
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

There is no updated release date.

Ed
Old 1st June 2019, 08:54
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Christer,

I will be ordering a copy of your "British" edition of Vol.4. Be in touch shortly.

Did you investigate "Lulu" as an alternative for your Vol.4? They can handle that type of work. Cost/quality might be a factor.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

Col.
Old 5th June 2019, 20:56

Richard Aigner is on a distinguished road

On 5 May 2019 Christer Bergstrom sent an e mail regarding publication date of Black Cross - Red Star Vol 4:
"Hi,
Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4 will be even better than I had anticipated.
I had planned to release the book now in May, but I have just got access to such a large amount of absolutely terriffic new material from certain archives - material that previously has been (and in principle still are) classified) - that I had to "stop the presses" until I have inserted this material. Due to the sensitive nature of the material, I can't tell you what it is, but you will see that the material in BCRS4 is substantially better than in the previous volumes. I expect the work to insert this new material to take about three weeks from now. Then there is the photo selection and the graphic design. So the publishing will be in the summer of 2019. This time definitely. Even if I receive tons of new material.I have lots and lots of never previously published photo material for the book, but should you have any "semi-unique" photo that you think would fit in BCRS4, I would be more than happy to take a look at it.
Please have a look at these new books by me too:
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/arnh...-paratroopers/
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/dais...r-ii-men-flew/
They will be released now in May. If you are interested, you can get a very good pre-order price for them, and I can post them together with Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4. (I am talking about the hard cover edition of Arnhem 1944, and Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4, you will of course receive the hard cover edition with color profiles.) Just drop me an e-mail about one or both of those other books if you are interested.
There will be several very good maps in all books. I attach one of the maps that will be in Black Cross/Red Star - in A 4 format. All of the maps in Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4, will be in the same style by the same highly professional map drawer. It is my ambition to have every place name mentioned in the book placed on the maps.
All the best,
Christer Bergström"
HTH, Richard

Last edited by Richard Aigner; 5th June 2019 at 21:02. Reason: added rest of Christer's message
Old 5th June 2019, 21:48
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for posting this Richard.

Best,
Ed
Old 6th June 2019, 01:16

Thanks for posting this update Richard. Sounds like vol 4 will definitely be worth the wait.

Edward
Old 12th June 2019, 22:21

Richard Aigner is on a distinguished road

An update by Christer Bergstrom on BCRS 4:
"Hi, dear supporters of Black Cross/Red Star!
Here is a question and an update.
The question: One of you made a most kind offer to make an image for the cover of Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4. It's a disgrace, but I have lost that e-mail. Could you please contact me again if that offer is still valid?
The update on BCRS4: All chapters apart from the last, conclusions chapter, are now completed. (The last chapter will be written when I am finished proofreading the book.) I am now in the process of proofreading the manuscript and selecting photos and writing photo captions. Between July 7 and 14, I will lead a battlefield tour in Singapore, and it is my aim to have sent BCRS4 to the printer before that, so that we can have the book delivered in late July.
All the best,
Christer Bergström"