Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th March 2019, 11:30
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: The (Helmut) Lent Papers

Ju 52, Bf 110, Klemm 35, Do 215, Do 17, He 111, Fi 156, Do 217, Fw 190, Ar 79, Bf 108, Ju 88, Ta 154, Fw 189, He 219. No totals (and before anyone asks, I am not going to total up 4 logbooks!) apart from 311 operational flights

Last edited by Chris Goss; 28th March 2019 at 14:36.
Old 1st April 2019, 18:35
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the summary of aircraft/types flown by Lent.

Yes, I forgot that the Luftwaffe airmen did - generally - not summ up their total on their Flugbuchs (at least those I have seen copies). I thought that maybe a total would appear...

So, 4 Flugbuchs? He may have flown something around 2,500+/3,000 total flying hours (I guess).

I remember Martin Drewes saying that what counted to going SOLO was the total of touch and goes (landings)...not the total of hours....If memory does not fail me, Drewes soloed with 56 landings. I was just enquiring about if LENT had the same kind of training or not...I mean, if he soloed around 50 landings or more?

Sorry about the long time to answer you back...weekends are pretty busy with a kid, as you may know.

Did the TA 154 MOSKITO and HE 219 flights were associated with some kind of Testing at Rechlin? Would you have more details about those specific flights or type flights? (how many flights he carried out? Was a simple "handling on new type or was he testing them for the RLM? When were those flights carried out in which machines (V-machines)?

Drewes told me that he sit on the cockpit of a He 219 UHU and that he knew that it was designed by a pilot for pilots, because everything fitted well. I am not sure IF Drewes indeed flew the He 219, or if he just sat on the cockpit of one, neither when he did so...

I do not have the "old" book "Helmut Lent: The Lent Papers by Peter Hinchliffe", so can not have an idea how the book is...if the author covered the TA 154 and He 219 flights, etc.....am just curious about that.

I am trying to understand the LW Training system and testing with this thread.

Thank you for your patience (know you may be a busy author, etc.) and kind assistance on this personal enquiry.

Most grateful,
Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 1st April 2019, 18:38
Alter Hase

Aaah....

LENT may have flown other types on A/B Schule, isn't it? Arado 66, Fw 44 Stieglits, maybe both Bu 131 or Bu 133...

Am just trying to compare with other relevant RAF night-fighter aces, the kind of training those night-aces did have...and kind of airplanes they flew...just a comparison...

Adriano
Old 1st April 2019, 20:08
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

He only flew the Ta 154 (TE+FE) once for 24 minutes and what looks like Hamburg Langenhagen (erprobungsflug) and the He 219 twice (G9+IL) at Stade (platzflug). I currently do not have access to his training FB as this was not pertinent to my work
Old 1st April 2019, 20:14
Alter Hase

Chris,

Much appreciated INFO. Thank you very much...

Me too, if I were given the opportunity to fly those birds I would grab it...so very understandable.

Thank you again

A.