Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st November 2016, 15:03
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hajo Herrmann Night Air Kills

I can see no Mossie claims for 2-3 Jan 44
Old 21st November 2016, 15:40
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hajo Herrmann Night Air Kills

Hi guys

Many thanks for your responses. I saw that he stated in an interview that he had been shot down on these dates in question and even described how he was forced to bail out of the Bf 109 T-1 in considerable detail but did not find any additional information on these hence my question. I have noticed that first-hand accounts are often not particularly trustworthy when it comes to events such as these even taking into account that many of these were written considerably later than the events they describe and human memory is notoriously reliable. I understand why someone would claim to have achieved a victory but why claim to have been shot down is another matter! Thanks for your help.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 21st November 2016, 16:54
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Of course my interest is the mention of a possible blue on blue - can anyone provide more information of his being shot down whilst flying a Bf109T? By whom? Another fighter or AA fire?

Cheers
Brian

PS: I have a copy for sale of Francis Marshall's tome on the Bf109T (in German) should anyone be interested.
Old 21st November 2016, 23:29

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

I remember reading Hajo Herrmann's book "Eagle Wings" and Hajo never mentioned about how many night air kills he got. Also Hajo didn't mentioned why he got the Oak Leaves and the Swords to his Knight's Cross.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao
Old 21st November 2016, 23:35
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

His autobiography mentions 24 August 1943 (not 20th) as the date he was shot down in his Bf109T; it would seem by another night fighter - German or British?

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:39

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

In Jean-Yves Lorant & Richard Goyat's first book about JG 300 you will have the details you are seeking for : the date of the action, the W.Nr. of the Fw 190 he was most likely flying that day and that he was he was shot down by the return fire from a bomber (if I remember well).