Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th October 2019, 10:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Turbinenjäger Berlin-Tempelhof: Johann Huber

Attached is a photo I came across in the German Red Cross missing persons lists. The "unit" is as above and the date is April 1945 but I couldn't see any corresponding entry in the German War Graves Register — several of that name lost during April but none with the same birth date. I haven't been through every book I've got, but his name isn't listed in the appendix to Manfred Böhme's JG 7 history.
Old 8th October 2019, 17:14
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Turbinenjäger Berlin-Tempelhof: Johann Huber

NICK,

Could "your guy" be that airman listed at Kracker Archives ??

Huber, Sepp Lt
9/KG(J)-6
Me 262A Werk # Unk (lost 4/25/45) F
ighter Operational Clasp
KIFA 25 April, 1945 when his Me 262 ground looped at Hostivice CZ. and exploded. Jager Blatt article. Added: His ground loop may have been caused by damage sustained in combat with Lt William Hoelscher of 4FG (F.Braun).
Old 8th October 2019, 18:59
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

This book, which is mis-titled, is 100% about the very advanced hybrid airframe/engine experiments of January to May 1945, and the turbo testing at Tempelhof is covered. Unfortunately, Griehl forgot to include names and places in his index.

Griehl, Manfred. Last Days of the Luftwaffe: German Luftwaffe Combat Units 1944-1945. Barnsley (Yorkshire): Frontline Books, 2009. ISBN: 978-1-84832-511-1. Hb. Dj. 262p. Heavily illus. Dwgs. Index.

L.
Old 8th October 2019, 19:15

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Adriano,

The information on Sepp Huber was published by Jan Horn in Jägerblatt 1/1991 and again in his "Wir flogen gegen Westen". Sepp Huber was a 2nd Lt., Johannes Huber an Unteroffizier. Horn says, that Sepp Huber was burried in Prague.

I have attached a (bad) foto from Sepp Huber from Jägerblatt. Does not look like the guy on the death-card. May be two different persons.

Regards
Carl
Attachment 18510
Old 8th October 2019, 19:51

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough

Hello Nick,

If I interpret the Red Cross card correctly, Johann Huber was a "Uffz." who was born on "12.5.22" in Munich. According to deZeng and Stankey, "Lt." Josef Huber of 9./KG(J) 6 was born on "16.01.25".
Old 9th October 2019, 16:12
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear Larry, Charles and Karoband,

Thank you for your corrections and additional information which clearly clean up this possibility.

Am not familiar with German nicknames, hence my presumption that Johannes could be nicknamed "Sepp" although it seems more related to "Josef".

On Kracker Archives, there were no clues to Leutnant Josef Huber's birthday, neither place of birth...ands surely, Charles, they do not look similar thanks to your picture...

It is amazing that still nowadays so many Luftwaffe and RAF airmen are unknown or do have not cross-checking information (I refer to RAF Command Forum which do have several lists of RAF missing airmen whose fates were slowly being covered by Henk Welting).

Well, something may arise Nick...sorry for my lack of knowledge or sources to "back you up" on this one.

A.
Old 9th October 2019, 16:59
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Am not familiar with German nicknames, hence my presumption that Johannes could be nicknamed "Sepp" although it seems more related to "Josef".

Well, something may arise Nick...sorry for my lack of knowledge or sources to "back you up" on this one.

A.
Don't apologise, I didin't know anything about this man or the "unit".

Sepp is from Josef (like Joseph and Joe in English). Johannes goes with Hans (= John and Jack)