Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st February 2005, 00:11

Andy Fletcher
German War Graves in Ireland

Hi All,

I recently visited the small German War Cemetery at Glencree, Ireland.

I was wandering if anyone could provide any details (unit, aircraft etc) on the following individuals.

Maj Herbert Rumpf KIA 10/6/41

Maj Dr. E. Herrstrom KIA 5/2/41

Uffz Hans Auschner KIA 23/7/43

Obgefr Jahann Kaschidlo (Kaschiolo?) KIA 23/7/43

I believe the last two were members of Wekusta.2, Ju88D-1 (430030; D7+DK). What were their crew positions and who were the other crew members?

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 21st February 2005, 06:17
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
??

Please don't take this wrong way, but I've seen a few references on this board to grave sites. Would somebody please explain to me why this is a topic worthy of interest beyond locating such sites and letting families know the fate and location of the remains their kinfolk? Maybe I just answered my own question, but this doesn't always seem to be the case. We all come together here because of our common interest in the LW in its many different facets. I'm sure the folks that look into this stuff have a very valid reason, but to me, in many cases, it all seems rather ghoulish.
Old 21st February 2005, 10:26
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan
Some of your answers will be here

http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/war/crashes.pdf
Old 21st February 2005, 16:53

Andy Fletcher
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link, a great help.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 21st February 2005, 17:18

Andy Fletcher
Hi Jim,

No offence taken. I happened to be in that part of the country and was aware that there was a German War Cemetery in the area so decided to have a look because of my interest WWII aviation.

I was hoping that the units the aircrew flew with would be listed on the grave markers but they weren't.

From the link that Paul supplied the individuals I listed before were probably in the following aircraft.

1. Maj Herbert Rumpf; Wekusta.51; KIA 10Jun41; He111H-2 (5289; 4T+JH)

2. Maj Dr.E. Herrstrom; KG40; KIA 05Feb41; FW200C-3 (042; F8+AH)

3. Uffz Hans Auschner & Obgefr Johann Kaschidlo; Wekusta.2; KIA 23Jul43; Ju88D-1 (430030; D7+DK)

Does your loss database include the above losses and if so is it possible you could list the crews and their function if known.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 21st February 2005, 21:13

Tony Kearns
Jim P.
Perhaps it does sound a bit ghoulish but in the case of my early research into landings in my country (Ireland) which was "neutral" it was not possible to gain access to militay records here for many, many years and only fairly recently were documents released. Censorship during the war was severe, imposed more stictly than even our neighbour the UK. Newspapers merely reported that a German or British aircraft had crashed and the crew were buried in a named place. It was necessary to locate the graveyard and note the names. It was in this manner that information was collected and then with the arrival of experts (such as on this forum) who produced literary works on the subjects that it was possible to put together the identities of the aircraft etc. When Irish documents were eventually made accessible, they naturally did not have information on the units involved.
Regards
Tony Kearns
Old 22nd February 2005, 01:40

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
For Jim P.,

Must agree with everything my friend and colleague Tony K. has written. As I am at least as interested in the men as in the aircraft I have found websites of, or publications from, agencies such as the CWGC and ABMC to be priceless sources of information. Details such as full and correct spelling of names, ranks, ages etc. can be hard to obtain in many instances.

Many of our colleagues worldwide have done invaluable work through their research in recovering bodies for a proper burial or identifying those interred as an unknown airman or soldier. Would that I could achieve something so worthwhile through my research.

Also just standing in front of a headstone or viewing a vast war cemetery gives one back a proper perspective of war. It's about real men not just machines. I find I can appreciate their loss and sacrifice better. Sorry, an ex-soldier speaking.

With the utmost respect for your own hard work and constant generosity. Regards.

Martin Gleeson.
Old 22nd February 2005, 20:26
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Jim
Do not you think cemeteries look a little bit ghoulish?
Research on cemeteries is very useful because it confirms existence of graves thus actual deaths. In case of reinterred graves it is not very helpful but in case of original ones it is a very good indication where the loss occured actually. Those details are usually missing from German loss returns, otherwise partially unavailable (WASt).
Now, what is really ghoulish for me is recovery of militaria that are part of war graves and then commerciall use of them. Although I think just disgusting is perfectly OK.
Old 23rd February 2005, 16:42

Andy Fletcher
The point Martin makes about some people being as interested in individuals as the aircraft applies to me. Infact I'm more interested in the careers of the airman than individual aircraft.

As I was leaving the cemetery I remember thinking it's good that these individuals haven't been forgotten and that their final resting place is well tended (also an ex-serviceman speaking).

I don't think anyone would think these sentiments ghoulish, but I agree with Franek that the robbing of war graves for militaria is abhorrent.

Andy Fletcher
Old 24th February 2005, 09:12

BABIN
JU 88 D-1 crashed in Ireland

Hello Andy,

The other crewmen of the JU 88 D-1 (430 030 ; D7+DK) of Wekusta 2 which crashed in Ireland on 23 July 1943 were : NOTH (observer) and DÜMMLER (radio) but I haven't their firstname and their rank.

The function in the plane of the other crewmen was : AUSCHNER (pilot) and KUSCHILDO (engineer).

Hope this helps

Pierre BABIN