Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th March 2007, 15:44
dora9forever

Smile Helmut Wick

why did helmut wick choose the little bird emblem,i have no idea,ithought horrido dagger was his ,gary
Old 14th March 2007, 05:09

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road
Re: helmut wick.

I checked in the book "Major Helmut Wick" by Herbert Ringsleiter, Motorbuch Verlag, page 152.
It states:
Wick's personal emblem. The bird was apparently a kingfisher bird but the background is not clearly stated. It is said here that this bird is known as good in "aerobatics" and a good hunter. It is also known to bring luck. The exact colours of the bird emblem is apparently not fully known.

The same source comments on the "Horrido" emblem which was not Wicks personal but originally from Hauptmann Henning Strümpell, 3./JG2 which was adopted as the 3./JG 2 emblem early in 1940.
Old 20th March 2007, 05:32
dora9forever

Smile Re: helmut wick.

hi,big thanks, a matter of point,the horrido badge was i to belive, his ,personel,emblem ,but why did it take some 35 years from my reserch,has i cant belive, that i looked it up in a book aircraft aces, jg 2 yes you are right,,but its taken many moderlers and historians, to know this now,,and little bird whitch i had not seen before,in books.or model kits.surely.somebody would have known this by 1980..but thanks,very helpful,god bless,,