Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th December 2008, 21:03

Ju52Jumper is on a distinguished road
He-219 Ejection Seat/Parachute Question

I've been visiting this forum for quite some time as it has a wealth of information. Now I have a question that maybe could be answered here.
I've been reading with great interest about the first combat ejections in the He-219 Uhu as I research for a painting I am just now starting. What type of parachutes did both the pilot and radar operator use in this aircraft, back-pack type or seat type? I've seen photos of both back seat and front seat being restored but can not answer this question from those photos.
Any help out there?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Edgar
Old 5th December 2008, 02:53

Horst Kube
Re: He-219 Ejection Seat/Parachute Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju52Jumper View Post
I've been visiting this forum for quite some time as it has a wealth of information. Now I have a question that maybe could be answered here.
I've been reading with great interest about the first combat ejections in the He-219 Uhu as I research for a painting I am just now starting. What type of parachutes did both the pilot and radar operator use in this aircraft, back-pack type or seat type? I've seen photos of both back seat and front seat being restored but can not answer this question from those photos.
Any help out there?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Edgar
Have a look here:

http://www.ausstellung-rettung-siche...tz_he-219.html

Regards, Horst
Old 5th December 2008, 07:57

Ju52Jumper is on a distinguished road
Re: He-219 Ejection Seat/Parachute Question

Horst, thank you very much for the quick reply. I have been to that site before, but can not make out the diagrams and photos on the wall clearly as my zoom function will not work on the panorama view. From what I can see, the pilot/front seat would wear the seat-pack parachute and the rear bordfunker would wear the back-pack parachute to fit the curvature of the rear ejection seat backrest. Not 100% certain though. I was hoping for one of those smoking gun photos or diagrams.

The illustration/painting that I am working on is of a "Uhu" crew enplaning as they watch another 'He-219' on a low pass. I would like to be accurate on this detail and have found little to go on.

I would love to see the museums exhibits first hand.

Thanks again,
Edgar