Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th October 2011, 22:20

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
George Preddy chases FW-190 over Liege, 25th Dec 1944. Any ideas which unit it could have been from?

Excuse me for asking what may be a very well known answer, but searches for Preddy and FW-190 have only brought up results that show he chased one that day.

A detailed description includes locations that are known:

"As they neared Liege, they were joined by a white nosed Mustang from the 479th FS, Lt. James Bouchier, who had become detached from his squadron. From the initial intercept point, approximately 3 to 4 miles SE of Liege, Preddy, now from a height of about 1500 feet, began to accelerate having picked out a long nosed FW-190 in the distance heading Northeast. He radioed “tally ho” to Control and was immediately cleared to make the intercept. There was also some talk between Control and Preddy about intense flak in the area of intercept and it being halted so the attack could be made. Unknown to Preddy, Cartee and Bouchier, was that their line of flight was taking them over the quad 50 cal. AA of “A” Battery of the 430th AA (who was attached to the 258th FABN XIX at that time) positioned on the west side of a large clump of trees 2 miles Southeast of Aachen, Germany."

I am trying to find out if possible (long-shot on the first request) who that FW Pilot may have been and if identified, which unit he was flying with?

I am expecting the above request to be very hopeful, so rather than specifics on the Pilot, is it possible to find out which FW-190 Unit(s) may been operating in the Liege area that day?

I am trying to put together a timeline of events and this question is leaving me a little stumped. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated, cheers, MP
Old 17th October 2011, 12:46
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: George Preddy chases FW-190 over Liege, 25th Dec 1944. Any ideas which unit it could have been from?

Hi ,

I have the following claim by George Preddy :
Fw Schröder Karl-Heinz shot down near Coblenz Koblenz in his Bf-109 werknumber 785758 Gelbe 9 , bailed out safe.

Regards
Alain57
Old 17th October 2011, 14:05

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: George Preddy chases FW-190 over Liege, 25th Dec 1944. Any ideas which unit it could have been from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
Excuse me for asking what may be a very well known answer, but searches for Preddy and FW-190 have only brought up results that show he chased one that day.

A detailed description includes locations that are known:

"As they neared Liege, they were joined by a white nosed Mustang from the 479th FS, Lt. James Bouchier, who had become detached from his squadron. From the initial intercept point, approximately 3 to 4 miles SE of Liege, Preddy, now from a height of about 1500 feet, began to accelerate having picked out a long nosed FW-190 in the distance heading Northeast. He radioed “tally ho” to Control and was immediately cleared to make the intercept. There was also some talk between Control and Preddy about intense flak in the area of intercept and it being halted so the attack could be made. Unknown to Preddy, Cartee and Bouchier, was that their line of flight was taking them over the quad 50 cal. AA of “A” Battery of the 430th AA (who was attached to the 258th FABN XIX at that time) positioned on the west side of a large clump of trees 2 miles Southeast of Aachen, Germany."

I am trying to find out if possible (long-shot on the first request) who that FW Pilot may have been and if identified, which unit he was flying with?

I am expecting the above request to be very hopeful, so rather than specifics on the Pilot, is it possible to find out which FW-190 Unit(s) may been operating in the Liege area that day?

I am trying to put together a timeline of events and this question is leaving me a little stumped. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated, cheers, MP
Only the 355th FG had white spinners. The 479th had NMF spinners, not that the distinction is important.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:05

Re: George Preddy chases FW-190 over Liege, 25th Dec 1944. Any ideas which unit it could have been from?

Apologies regarding that description, it was taken from another website and incorrectly mentions the 479th FS, it should be 479th FG / 434th FS which had either White or Polished metal spinners:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/galle...chString=434th

Alain thanks for the information, I have now identified the two pilots claimed by Preddy but the FW group (or even possible FW Group) is still eluding me.

Thanks for your interest, the search continues

Cheers, MP
Old 17th October 2011, 20:29

Phas3e is on a distinguished road

The Stab, 2 and 3 staffel of Jg26 were in the area that day they were attacked by mustangs and evaded without loss, that was in the morning of the 25th.

Is this for another IL2 movie project? if you need skins just gimme a yell
Old 17th October 2011, 22:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
George Preddy chases FW-190 over Liege, 25th Dec 1944. Any ideas which unit it could have been from?

Hello MP

Assuming it was a Dora-9 as the Americans often confused the BMW 801 powered A-series and the Jumo 213 powered D-series the aircraft could have belonged to I. or II./JG 26, I. or III./JG 2 or possibly III./JG 54. Both I. and II./JG 26 saw action that day in the general area that you are interested in and as regards to I. and II./JG 2 it appears that both these units were out of action on 25 December following USAAF B-17 four-engined bombing raids on their airfields the previous day. III./JG 54 did not fly any missions that day for what I am aware of either. Hopefully someone else can add to or correct any of this.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 20th October 2011, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phas3e View Post
The Stab, 2 and 3 staffel of Jg26 were in the area that day they were attacked by mustangs and evaded without loss, that was in the morning of the 25th.

Is this for another IL2 movie project? if you need skins just gimme a yell

Using some advanced software for this one Phase, and yes it's a CG movie....thanks for the offer, but this time the quality is higher in the software than IL2

Cheers, MP