Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2017, 15:03

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: General theme for Hawker Hurricane during Phoney War and BoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
A s I wrote in previous reply, we can continue with photo collection with Belgian Hawker Hurricanes.

Photo of 2 burned hurricanes with watts 2 blade propeller - from my perspective, these 2 machine are again Belgian
http://www.modelari.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2155

Faenor
Faenor,
There's a saying in English "I have no dog in this fight" - meaning I have nothing personal at stake. I am not offended, and hope I cause no offense.
Observation about the above photo - the high slender wing monoplane with radial engine in the background - I think a Westland Lysander as the V-brace attached closer than mid-wing and the flap extends almost to the brace. Not sure any Belgian Foxes had radial engines (even if it's a biplane with bottom wing out of view), and Renards had rounder, less-slender wings. Would be interesting to see if the RAF lost or operated any Lysanders close to an airfield with destroyed Belgian Hurricanes. This would give an indication of whether RAF or Belgian Hurricanes.

Bertrand,
I trust your comment on the ground around Lille/Seclin, I would not know any better. I wonder where the photo was taken?

...geoff
Old 14th November 2017, 16:02
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

http://www.modelari.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2153 Not a Gladiator (cabane struts and canopy wrong, if nothing else) but perhaps a late Firefly or even Fox?
Old 14th November 2017, 16:49
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Not a Firefly
Old 14th November 2017, 19:48

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

thankd to all reply during the day - I´m just amateur and interesting in this topic :-)

2 geof about 2 Hurricanes with Watts 2 blade propeller from this link
probably trie - the wing looks like from Westland Lysander, whcih was use just by RAF in France - I have to look in this direction too - thanks for your observation

2 Graham Boak about photo of 2 wrecks of Hurricane with Gladiator from this link : http://www.modelari.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2153
notice by the photo fit to the airfield and situation and hull of the bi-plane looks like Gladiator - check with this cuttaway
http://www.warintheskies.com/images/...torcutaway.jpg
I think the lower wing is torn from the hull - but maybe I´m wrong

All comments are welcome :-)

Faenor
Old 14th November 2017, 22:48
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

I agree that the Warren-style structure of the rear fuselage does look Gladiator, but the position of the cockpit canopies relative to the wing and the roundel do not look right. Either the roundel Iif that is what it is) is too far forward or the canopy too far aft, and there appears to be more canopy under the wing. Also what appears to be the forward cabane struts are too large and slope aft at the top. It may be that damage is distorting these parts, or they are something else altogether, but for the moment I am unconvinced.
Old 15th November 2017, 02:54

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

The Fairey Fox's had an additional wing strut connecting the upper and lower ailerons. The wreckage that Graham is talking of does seem to have this in place (what the German soldier on the right is holding in his hand for support). There also appears to be an additional strut portion on the outer strut arrangement (giving the appearance of a reverse 'N' shape). Though the diagonal portion doesn't seem to be complete - so I can't be sure it's damaged, or a portion of the forward carbane strut viewed at an odd angle.

...geoff
Old 15th November 2017, 14:12

Hi Graham and Geof,

thanks for your observations - just another photo at the same location from another perspective will help us figure out if it's Gloster Gladiator or another type of aircraft.

That's why I ask if anyone else has a photo on that airport - Schaffen/Diest - or if this place is not filmed in the German weekly movie

Thanks

Faenor
Old 16th November 2017, 09:18

Quote:
Hi all,

I´m interesting in photos of Hawker Hurricane during Phoney War and Battle of France - as is visible from my previous thread. In this moment, I have lot of question and I hope, that somebody from this super forum can help me.

All, who are interesting in same thread are welcome and thanks for all response.

Faenor

1st question - captured Hawker Hurricane Mk. I - I´m searching for more info about this plane:
- Watts 2 blade wooden propeller and early style windscreen with external armour
- camo type A
- tricolore on the tail - "old version or style"
- marking G
- on one photo is visible hexagon mark on tail - so its 85. Sq? But then there not fit the tricolore on the tail - this type us mostly used by 1.Sq ....

Photo are on this link - in this moment, I don´t know, how to post these photo from external source
http://www.modelari.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2144

Thanks Faenor
Hi all, during searching in old file with photo from France 1970 in my archive I found next 2 photos of same plane - photos attached in link

Faenor
Old 19th November 2017, 22:31

Hello,

another interesting machine is this Hawker Hurricane Mk.I in German color. The machine is clearly in a flying condition and this is s probably a machine that has been tested in simulated battles such as Maj. Werner Molder.
The pictures are probably from German film and therefore I'm looking for more information. See this link:
http://www.modelari.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2159

Source - internet, probably old LEMB forum

Faenor
Old 19th November 2017, 22:49

Quote:
Hi all,

thankd to all reply during the day - I´m just amateur and interesting in this topic :-)

2 geof about 2 Hurricanes with Watts 2 blade propeller from this link
probably trie - the wing looks like from Westland Lysander, whcih was use just by RAF in France - I have to look in this direction too - thanks for your observation

[

Faenor
Hi all,

based on info from geof, in the background there is really probably Westland Lysander During previous week I receive photo (see updated link), on which is Westland Lysander with group of Hawker Hurricanes captured by German.
All information - including "The Lizzie" are welcome.
http://www.modelari.org/download/file.php?id=38587

Thanks Faenor
Closed Thread