Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th March 2007, 16:02

NickM
A couple of questions regarding Bob Goebel

Guys:

Need your help & your thoughts on the following:

Am reading Bob Goebel's 'Mustang Ace' book and a question came up; On April 21, 1944 the 31st FG made its first visit to Ploesti; they claimed 16 vics & suffered 4 losses; I checked my Romanian reading material (ADMITTEDLY rather sketchy!) and IF I recall correctly Romanians only suffered 4 losses from April to May; where any German Units involved & if so, what were THEIR losses? THIS Might well be the wrong forum but...oh well...

Another question RE: Bob Goebel: I read an article in passing that maybe it was Goebel and his flight that forced down Eric Hartman in his famous 'one-versus-many' dogfight against mustangs that he had to bail out due to fuel starvation....any thoughts on this? I did NOT get the article, mind you...so I am working from memory...

TIA

NickM
Old 29th March 2007, 15:28

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: A couple of questions regarding Bob Goebel

Nick,

I have better details about the Romanians over the eastern front but there are some very detailed publications about their fights against the US planes as well, which shows much more losses and not just on that particular day (IIRC on 21 April at least 8 IAR pilots were killed by the Mustangs of the 31st FG)

Regarding the other story: yes, it was probably Bob Goebel (I have his remembrance and discussed that story with him as well)
Old 30th March 2007, 06:45

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba Becze View Post
Nick,

I have better details about the Romanians over the eastern front but there are some very detailed publications about their fights against the US planes as well, which shows much more losses and not just on that particular day (IIRC on 21 April at least 8 IAR pilots were killed by the Mustangs of the 31st FG)

Regarding the other story: yes, it was probably Bob Goebel (I have his remembrance and discussed that story with him as well)
Thanks! Wow, EIGHT pilots KIA? And my more generic sources don't even mention this day! I don't suppose you got any details as to how many German and/or Romanian aircraft were lost on this day?

NickM
Old 31st March 2007, 19:47
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Thanks! Wow, EIGHT pilots KIA?
In fact, a total of eleven I.A.R. 80 fighter pilots were killed that bloody day in clashes with 31st F.G. Mustangs, and a further six pilots wounded, as follows:
Gr. 1 vân.: 5+2,
Gr. 2 vân.: 2+4,
Gr. 6 vân.: 4+0
There were further combat losses suffered by ARR fighter pilots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
And my more generic sources don't even mention this day!
I don't know what source you may call "more generic"; however, details were included in my book on Rumanian aces, published by Osprey in 2003.
Old 1st April 2007, 02:28

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
In fact, a total of eleven I.A.R. 80 fighter pilots were killed that bloody day in clashes with 31st F.G. Mustangs, and a further six pilots wounded, as follows:
Gr. 1 vân.: 5+2,
Gr. 2 vân.: 2+4,
Gr. 6 vân.: 4+0
There were further combat losses suffered by ARR fighter pilots...

I don't know what source you may call "more generic"; however, details were included in my book on Rumanian aces, published by Osprey in 2003.
Thanks Denes; my 'more generic' sources were: Neulen's "In the Skys above Europe" & YOUR Osprey title---turns out I didn't read your book VERY closely...OOOPS, sorry MY bad...

NickM