Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th December 2017, 01:15

Richard Reeves is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf110 losses on 15 Oct 1940

Thanks Chris and John.

It's been a while since I've done much research into aircraft losses, probably over 20 years ago, so am indeed rather inexperienced in this particular field. I am however a professional historian (though this piece is for personal interest!) working mainly in the medieval and early modern periods and am therefore very well acquainted with the use of historical sources. I am not however very experienced in what Luftwaffe material is available, hence my question. I needed therefore to be test the claims before I could come to a conclusion. I hope it did not come across as if I did not believe you, you are after all undisputed experts in this field. I was already aware that the JG2 claims were massively over the mark, so it is unsuprising to see errors on the RAF side too. As historians you will both recognise that accepting one side of the story without testing it is does not produce history. As such I can only say how grateful I am for your input, it may not bring the story to a neat conclusion but does highlight the complexity and confusion which arises in battle. Thanks again for your help, Richard.

Tags
battle of britain, bf110, jg2, zg26